Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Redtail surfperch BBQ — cougar [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:45 pm
Ken Jones

Posted by cougar

Redtail Recipe...
Weber BBQ...pile coals on one side, let them all turn grey...
cookie tin sheet...w/ foil...little butter, olive oil and 1/4" of water...
clean perch but leave head and fins and skin on etc....this saves major meat...lay down perchies side by side heads near the coals, rest of body of perch off coals...
chooped up garlic, green apples, celery and squezzed lemon all over...put on grill, then put lid on bbq, w/ top holes open 1/2 way and bottom opened partially for air flow...
let bake for 1/2hr..then carefully flip redtails over..let bake another 1/2 hr...now take lid off and w/ a delicate knife skin peels right off...then w/ spatula slide baked fillet right off of bones...then pick up top of spine underneath the head and it comes right out in one piece....
the bottom fillet then slides off skin nice and smooth w/ very little bones...discard scrapes...but dont forget the nice little nuggets right on the cheeks of the perch...
then scoop all the garlic, apples etc...put on plate and yummy......
this was just an experiment because last time I baked perch after doing my butcher fillet job there was hardly any meat left...this way was very good and made a nice meal where we actually have sum left over to put in scrambled eggs in the morning...
also I found it wasn’t as mushy...most likely becuz it was 1/2 baked and smoked....firmed up quite nice...

Posted by Cougar

A later recipe for redtail surfperch

Recipe-
Gutted and whole fish wrapped in 4 separate foil packs and baked for 1hr. @ 325 degrees.
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
Mixed all together and evenly distributed among the foil packs.
For family of 4 was very tasty and rewarding catching cleaning cooking and eating...
Most likely will never fillet a perch again after cooking this way. So much more meat per fish...

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: