pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Penn Battle [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:02 am
atsquare

I have a family member that has relocated to LA and is not far from the Santa Monica pier. We are experienced fisherman on the east cost but have no exposure to Pier fishing. Would a Penn Battle 8' MH rod and reel combo work in that situation or would an 9' be preferable ? If these are both not appropriate what is suggested ?

Thank you in advance

Anthony
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:55 pm
tackleholic

that 8 ft. Combo should be fine..get the 9 ft if you want to cast a little further out. I see people fishing the piers with trout rods...for small species. It all depends on what you are targeting. Most people use just whatever they already have for piers...its rare that you are undergunned for most pier species but if you are, you may lose all your line but have a good story to tell. If you do,hook into something that might challenge your gear, it will most likely be a big ray or a big shark...but other than that, that combo should be more than able to subdue any other species you might hook within range of a sou cal pier.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:00 am
muttfishr

First off, Welcome to the board! I am unfamiliar with a "penn battle" is it a spinning reel? What weight line? Like already said, a lite "freshwater" outfit with 6-lb line will be fine for just about anything your liable to hook into. They have a whole different fishery south of point conception (just north of santa Barbara) I would suggest just getting out there and checking it out. Most fishermen "just like anywhere elce" are always more than willing to share their sport with anyone who'll listen. There are a bunch of regulations conserning fishing here and the DFW Wardens are very serious about writing citations! The creator of this web site has a book in print "pierfishing in California" that is filled with information, list's every pier along the coast of California. Another book worth getting is " fishes of the pacific coast" and ofcourse stop by any Big-5 or Walmart and get a fishing regulations pamphlet for the fresh and salt water regs. Lastly, post a report of your outing! even if you didn't wet a line! Thanks...mutt.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:00 am
muttfishr

Oops!
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: