PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:00 pm
Ken Jones

http://kenjonesfishing.com/2014/12/sablefish/
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:39 pm
polishfromthedeep

Hey!

That's me in the Pismo Pier picture, cool!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:22 pm
Ken Jones

I'll add your name to the picture. If you want your real name used send me an email.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:16 pm
The Orion

Oh my goodness, what I would do to fish that huge sable fish run in Monterey. Butterfish sashimi comes in on occasion to some of the sushi restaurants I frequent and I have to get it whenever I see it! The flavor is very rich and intense plus the texture is incredible. The flesh holds up on rice and on chopsticks but once it's in my mouth it just melts and my eyes roll back in my head every time. That being said, not everyone likes it.
Ive found that at the end of the pier in Monterey there's a fresh fish market that sells them whole. I might bring one home with me the next time i see one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:44 pm
polishfromthedeep

Screen name is fine, thanks. I love being famous. haha

Black Cod sashimi huh?? I'll have to give that a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:52 pm
The Orion

polishfromthedeep wrote:

Depends.... They will sell it under the name butterfish or white tuna in the restaurant and it can either be black cod or "escolar", another deepwater fish. Either fish eaten raw may "disagree" with some people's stomachs even if it's prepared well. (bubble guts, etc)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:47 pm
Ken Jones

One of my favorite fish meals is smoked sablefish from Ivers Restaurant up in Seattle. Whenever I go up there I'll try to stop for some sablefish. I used to get smoked sablefish in Fort Bragg and have seen it in Morro Bay but it only seems to be there occasionally. I used to catch big sablefish when I would fish the rockcod boats out of Santa Cruz and they would fish the deep reefs. We'd get big sablefish and big hake but I'm not too sure they fish those reefs any more. As for pier caught sablefish, I've only caught them twice, both times from the Newport Pier; 47 one time and 6 the next.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:11 am
Trumbo

The Orion wrote:
polishfromthedeep wrote:

Depends.... They will sell it under the name butterfish or white tuna in the restaurant and it can either be black cod or "escolar", another deepwater fish. Either fish eaten raw may "disagree" with some people's stomachs even if it's prepared well. (bubble guts, etc)

Escolar mmm. Better wear your diapers. It's illegal in Japan haha.http://blog.medellitin.com/2008/12/escolar-world-most-dangerous-fish.html?m=1
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:13 pm
rudesvx

Trumbo wrote:
The Orion wrote:
polishfromthedeep wrote:

Escolar mmm. Better wear your diapers. It's illegal in Japan haha.http://blog.medellitin.com/2008/12/escolar-world-most-dangerous-fish.html?m=1

LOL! Thanks for the great read! I believe I may have had the oily crap syndrome after the butterfish meal once.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:00 pm
Socalman

An old topic but just had to add my 2 cents. Several years ago, maybe close to 30 years ago a friend and I went out of Redondo and fished from the fishing barge City of Redondo. About all that were caught were sablefish, perhaps a few mackerel. I filleted most of mine and found it some of the best tasting beer-battered fish we ever had.

I would never think of these as coming in close enough for pier fishing. I suppose one could only hope!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:38 am
Ken Jones

Socalman wrote:
An old topic but just had to add my 2 cents. Several years ago, maybe close to 30 years ago a friend and I went out of Redondo and fished from the fishing barge City of Redondo. About all that were caught were sablefish, perhaps a few mackerel. I filleted most of mine and found it some of the best tasting beer-battered fish we ever had.

I would never think of these as coming in close enough for pier fishing. I suppose one could only hope!

Basically only the younger ones.

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: