pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Pan Seared Fish Part 2 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:34 pm
frozendog

Every time I have a recipe or technique it changes over time. So this is how I do the pan searing now. Iím trying to use less butter.

Prep:
I start with a boneless, skinless filet (or portion if it is a bigger fish like a lingcod).
Let the fish come to room temperature.
Dry the fish on both sides.
Season - salt, pepper and whatever seasoning you like. We like Chef Paulís Poultry Magic. Let it sit another 15 minutes to penetrate.
Cover with a light coating of Wondra flour - or cornstarch or regular flour. This will seal in some of the juices and help brown the fish.

Cooking:
Use a large heavy-duty saute pan or cast-iron skillet. Heat on stove until the pan is very hot. Not smoking but hot.
Cover the bottom of the pan with olive oil and one pat of butter (butter optional).
When the oil is hot, lay filets in the pan carefully. This is why you want a big pan because you want room between the filets.
After about three to five minutes, depending on how done you like your fish, and the fish is golden to light brown on the bottom, carefully flip the filets.
Cook the second side another 3-4 minutes on med high to med. If you see it smoking, lower the temp.
When fish is golden on both sides, remove it from the pan.

Serving:
We like to throw in some pineapple rings in the same pan and brown in the juices.

We like a spoonful of orange marmelade on the hot filet for a glaze. Donít knock it until you try it. Citrus and sweet always go well with fish.

Rockfish filet

1/2 of a ling filet

Thinking:
Your meal turned out so good you are already thinking about your next fishing trip and what you can pan-sear next.

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: