pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Small conventional reel suggestions [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:01 pm
Rockfish Ninja

The smallest conventional I have is an Avet SX-J, love it but was looking into something lighter for casting lures. The big obstacle is that I hate low profile bass reels and the only smaller round reels I've found were the low end Abu stuff and Shimano Torium smaller sizes, which weighed almost the same as my SX-J.

Before I bite the bullet and consider a low profile, does anybody know of any decent, smaller, *round* conventionals?

Thanks
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:44 pm
pinfish

C3 and C4

The less bearings the better in salt water. Centrifugal brakes are where it's at.

Low profile: curado or Citica. Small one. Bat rays and 20# stripers spool you but how often does that happen. Small reel.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:12 pm
seabass_seeker

Shimano Calcutta and Daiwa Luna! Bulletproof time time tested round reels. Palmable, and comfortable as low-pros but sexy and classy as your Avet. Choose size accordingly. As to which one's better? That'll be up to you to figure out because I don't have the $$$$ for such nice toys.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:30 pm
seabass_seeker

I mean, look at it *drools*

Top of page
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:14 pm
Rockfish Ninja

Thanks for the suggestions and somebody get a napkin for Seabass.

Seems like I won't be able to lose any significant weight in the round reel game as they all are in the 10-12 oz range. Looked at the C3, wasn't impressed for Sweden made, Calcutta or Luna is way out of the range for me too. I think I'm going to cruise the flea market for the best low profile I can find for dirt $ cause I'm mainly a baitchucker and won't use it all the time. Just need to lighten up the rig for my occasional plugging escapades. If I don't find anything decent I'll research the best low profile for the money, and look at the curado & citiga.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:41 pm
seabass_seeker

Keep an eye out for a Shimano Cardiff. They can be had for under $100. I believe I got one for around $40. Almost the same as a Calcutta just a few bushings swapped in for bearings etc. I felt as though it was a great reel as long as you kept it from getting dunked (you had to clean it immediately if you did dunk it in saltwater/sand).
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:29 pm
Rockfish Ninja

seabass_seeker wrote:
Keep an eye out for a Shimano Cardiff. They can be had for under $100. I believe I got one for around $40. Almost the same as a Calcutta just a few bushings swapped in for bearings etc. I felt as though it was a great reel as long as you kept it from getting dunked (you had to clean it immediately if you did dunk it in saltwater/sand).

I looked at that one too, the store's display model was broken so I lost interest, plus it's almost as heavy as what I have. I'm just gonna look for a garage sale/flea market deal on a low profile just to have for haliper plugging, I can still use the SX-J for Lings & RF plugging and baitchunking.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:48 pm
explosivecat

i like the abu black/silver maxxs they are cheap and they are everywhere
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:24 pm
red fish

pinfish wrote:
C3 and C4

The less bearings the better in salt water. Centrifugal brakes are where it's at.

Low profile: curado or Citica. Small one. Bat rays and 20# stripers spool you but how often does that happen. Small reel.
Amen, and two yes, yes ya'all's to this...

If you want to step up to a Calcutta D or TE, don't fool yourself, the Abu round reels are just as good as a Daiwa 300 or a regular Calcutta 400. And, what's more, the Abu's are sealed better and are much more scratch-resistant if you are going to use from the beach or the pier. There is nothing more un-sexy that a scratched up gold reel....
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:47 am
capt.raysharking

Daiwa lexo or curado. Round reels get bulky to cast all day long. And they get cold on those freezing winter rain storms.. round reel = rod holder ( that's why they have clickers) I don't know anything I'm just bored.. Don't listen to me. I actually switched to spinning reels for lures. New spinning reels have gone a long way with torque and drag. Don't be ashamed of the coffee grinder it's only a west coast thing.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:09 pm
Rockfish Ninja

capt.raysharking wrote:
Daiwa lexo or curado. Round reels get bulky to cast all day long. And they get cold on those freezing winter rain storms.. round reel = rod holder ( that's why they have clickers) I don't know anything I'm just bored.. Don't listen to me. I actually switched to spinning reels for lures. New spinning reels have gone a long way with torque and drag. Don't be ashamed of the coffee grinder it's only a west coast thing.

LOL!!!! Man that's precious, only thing that made me laugh today. Sorry though, can't go back to CGs, bad index finger from years of computers (On disability for pinched nerves,carpal,etc.) so I became completely thumb reliant by casting conventionals. I'm resigned to finding a cheap low profile and using the avet for bigger plugging situations. Besides, I'm still mostly a baitchucker and only plug when my shoulder is feeling good.LOL

"don't listen to me" .....that's so deadpan. Too funny.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 pm
mav

I know you weren't impressed with the abu garcia C3 and C4 but did you look at the narrow 4000 (4500/4600) series reels... I mostly fish low pro for throwing 1/2-1 1/4 oz jigs but I do have a cardiff and a narrow abu. What I love about the Swedish abu rounds is that they are workhorses and less maintenance. Hammer down the drag and lightly rinse off, open up, loosen drag and let dry on a towel... The cardiff is a nice reel but you have to baby it because it has more internal crevices to hold water and cause rust...

The abu rounds have a better drag than the cardiff but the cardiff IS smaller...
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am
capt.raysharking

Don't know if you fish when it's cold and raining out, but round metal gets uncomfortable quick. I love my international 955s, but the low pros are lighter and warmer.. Check out that Daiwa lexa it's legit..
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:47 am
red fish

mav wrote:
I know you weren't impressed with the abu garcia C3 and C4 but did you look at the narrow 4000 (4500/4600) series reels... I mostly fish low pro for throwing 1/2-1 1/4 oz jigs but I do have a cardiff and a narrow abu. What I love about the Swedish abu rounds is that they are workhorses and less maintenance. Hammer down the drag and lightly rinse off, open up, loosen drag and let dry on a towel... The cardiff is a nice reel but you have to baby it because it has more internal crevices to hold water and cause rust...

The abu rounds have a better drag than the cardiff but the cardiff IS smaller...

Quote:
Seems like I won't be able to lose any significant weight in the round reel

game as they all are in the 10-12 oz range. Looked at the C3, wasn't impressed for

Sweden made, Calcutta or Luna is way out of the range for me too. I think I'm going

to cruise the flea market for the best low profile I can find for dirt $ cause I'm

mainly a baitchucker and won't use it all the time. Just need to lighten up the rig

for my occasional plugging escapades. If I don't find anything decent I'll research

the best low profile for the money, and look at the curado & citiga.

Quote:
What I love about the Swedish abu rounds is that they are workhorses and

less maintenance. Hammer down the drag and lightly rinse off, open up, loosen drag

and let dry on a towel... The cardiff is a nice reel but you have to baby it

because it has more internal crevices to hold water and cause rust...

There is nothing impressive...but you said it yourself, a "workhorse."

Reference thread:
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=302632

Quote:
The Curado E and older, plus the new Curados are good reels... Don't bother with

the Curado G because you could get a much better reel for the price. You mentioned

a 201, which is a lefty... I still have my Bantam Curado 200 because mine seems to

cast further than the E's....It has a 6:1 gear ratio but you could choose what gear

ratio that you want from the newer ones... They also have the Curado 300 E/EJ which

is similar in size of the Daiwa Lexa 300... They're both good reels but to me the

Curado 300 feels more solid. I always seem to have issues with water easily getting

into the bearings of Daiwas so I always have to clean and baby them after every

use..

I'll +1 this last quote, but RFN, you will pay as much as you said you paid for your SX-MC for an E
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: