pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> advice on a rod for throwing articials [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:57 pm
rayman251

I have a 9 foot daiwa acculite series rod rated for 3/8-3/4 oz weight and 8-12 lb line. Should i consider buying a new rod for throwing lures off piers beaches and jettys if i want to target anything from perch to halibut to bass or even bonito. Ive land king salmon up to 45 lbs out of the cowlitz river in washington off the setup. Ive used it several times at dana point jetty and got strikes but no successful hook sets.

Maybe the strikes were from fish too small to actually take a 5 inch gulp jerk shad or a 4 inch big hammer swim bait. But any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:18 pm
TheCraftsman

I would recommend something heavier, not because it cant handle fish (45lbs) is a pretty big fish, but because of rocks/and kelp. Sometimes when you get stuck you need a little muscle to be able to free yourself up. I use an 8' rated 15-25lb, 1-5oz rod, 20lb mono. I'm not the most experienced, im still learning too, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Also i fish mostly fish jetties, so other applications may be different. I started out fishing salt water with my bass rods/reels, but after having a couple nice fish snap me off fairly easily, i decided to move up. I think it also depends a lot on what kind of fish you are targeting. In my area the bigger fish are halibut and sharks, and if you were to hook into a decent size of either of those, they would probably break your line fairly easily.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: