pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> right hand conventional [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:46 am
pinfish

One way to identify me out there is to spot the guy that can cast a conventional on both the left and right arm. hehe

But due to possible left arm/shoulder tendonitis, I might have to switch to using a spinning reel (to cast with the right arm).

or

But has anybody been successful casting a conventional and also cranking it - by casting with the right arm and keeping it held on the right hand and using the left hand to crank? I would have to use those inverted conventionals...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:27 am
Rockfish Ninja

I know exactly how you feel, I have a degenerated disc, pinched nerve, and I'm on workers comp temp disability. It's all from sitting at a computer for decades and fishing, moving around doing a little casting is actually OK for me. I just can't throw plugs/lures for hours, have to do any computer stuff standing up, and not for more than 15 mins at a time or my hand goes numb and I won't be able to cast too good. LOL

My pinch is on the right side and casting isn't too bad, can still get it out 60-70 yds, but I must fight & lift with my left. That's why I use only conventionals & if I do have to use a spinner I switch the handle so I still fight/lift with my left.

My advice is, we're only on this earth for a short while. Experiment, find what works for you and tailor your game to that. JUST KEEP DOING WHAT YOU LOVE!!! I got rid of almost all my spinners, picked up a couple of Avet reels, and became more of a baitchucker. Still is better than workin', right?

Good luck, hope this helps, and hope to see you out there on the water doing what we love.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:32 am
Mahigeer

pinfish wrote:
But has anybody been successful casting a conventional and also cranking it - by casting with the right arm and keeping it held on the right hand and using the left hand to crank?

All the time providing you donít mean turning the conventional, so it is under the rod.

I am a righty, but when I saw my first lefty conventional, I never looked back. If I am casting with the right hand when I use spinning reel, why not stay the same with conventional.

I have discussed this with many people, and most say it feels odd to them to use left hand conventional. Though they have no problem when using spinning reel. Go figure!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:14 pm
pinfish

Thanks,rockfish ninja and mahigeer. I will have to figure something out before beach striper season, or switch to bait fishing.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:55 pm
Rockfish Ninja

Using a lefty reel to do what you plan doesn't sound too far out there, in fact sounds like it will work fine. Let us know when you try a LH reel and how it works for you.

Remember PF, those fish are calling your name.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 pm
FishingRonin

pinfish wrote:

But has anybody been successful casting a conventional and also cranking it - by casting with the right arm and keeping it held on the right hand and using the left hand to crank? I would have to use those inverted conventionals...

I am right handed and that is exactly how I do it. Its more natural to cast and be able to use the other hand at the ready to crank. Switching hands to cast is just clumsy. If you got a nibble, your reaction is faster too since you don't have to switch hands to set the hook. When I feel a bite, I set the hook with right hand and my left is right up there on the reel, reeling the fish in.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:39 pm
mav

I don't switch... I always cast on my right side, my nephew does both though... Anyway, I adapted to lefty and It just feels natural for me, as a right handed person. I prefer lefty for spotted bay bass fishing... The only problem that I run into that most people don't do with a conventional anyway, is when I under hand cast from a pier.. The crank gets in the way so I'd have to turn my wrist in an awkward position to cast.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: