pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Conventional/Baitcaster Reels for Pier use-General Guide [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:18 am
red fish

Some useful information and general guidelines to reel selection for people interested in getting started with conventional or baitcast reels for pier use.
http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb_archives.mv?SearchDatabase=0&viewid=195382

Not a big fan of the 7000c3

Posted by gyozadude
on Jul-27-04 4:32pm

(In reply to: one of Ron Arra's old faves... posted by scooterfish on Jul-27-04 12:30pm)

In that size range, I tend to favour Penn. The Jigmaster is stalwart, bulletproof, a cinch to mag, and never fails, IMO. I have a Tekota, Calcutta, Quantum Big Irons, yadi, yadi, but for $120 for the Abu 7000c3, I'm somewhat disappointed by it's performance. It's nothing like the feel of the smaller sized reels and it seems too nice and pricey to really deserve the type of trashing I'd dish out with a Penn.

For the bigger sized fishing for rays exclusively, I'd recommend the Jigmaster 500L as an entry level reel that's go. No bearings to muck around and lube all the time. No levelwind. Nothing. Just remember that for comfort get a casting rod with uplocking real seat and enjoy the comfort of gripping soft foregrip material while thumbing the line back and forth. Otherwise, be prepared to grip cold, stiff reelseat threads.

Redfish and I were talking about this at Berkeley, and he made a very astute comment about how I was using the two rigs that pretty much would cover any sportfishing situation at the Pier. One was a heavy 3-8 oz heaver rod with Jigmaster 500L. The other rig was a stiff med-fast action 8 1/2 ft salmon casting rod for 1/2 - 2oz and Abu 6500c3. Now if Red says that to you, you know you've got the right casting gear.

Link: Gyozadude's Pier Fishing Utils
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:33 am
pinfish

yeah. all these fancy overpriced reels are no use when all of them just lasts a couple years of hard saltwater use. Might as well use a simple reel that can do the job and won't be too hard to fix/maintain
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:30 pm
muttfishr

I've been finding penn jigmaster reels at the local flea-marts reciently, some for as low as 7$. I scored two the other week for 15$ apiece (but I had to buy both). I just got a long beach "live bait" caster (never seen one of those before) it needs a few parts replaced but all in due time, my advice is take your time and learn to cast forget about that levelwind nonsence, you'll be better off in the long run, the levelwind reels that I have I use to loan to friends who don't know how to fish, when we're out on a boat, if I take them shore fishing I let them use spinning gear! A lot less hassle!...mutt.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:08 pm
seabass_seeker

I miss my two Jiggys back in Cali. I imagine they'd be perfect for salmon and halibut up here, especially the short spool 99 version.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:59 pm
mav

I usually fish light on piers but on those occasions that I know that rays and sharks are around, and I want to have some sharay fun, I'll take my Jigmaster with 30# out for a spin... Watch out for them seals though.. LOL

From 20# - 25# I use my old Penn Squidders because my Jigmasters still eats anything = or < 25# test. The 146 narrow Squidders are perfect when the big bonito come around...

******* My usual pier fishing range ********
There's a "just in case" overlap with the 20# but from 12# - 20# I use a couple of my smaller Swedish Abus.. 5000 - 6000 size...

8# - 10# I'll use any quality light low pro reels...

6# and < I use spinning gear... It's fun but you tend to get snapped off a lot from a pier...

I almost forgot... It's an addiction... I don't just have only one Jigmaster.. haha
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: