pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
>> How to Snare Crab [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 am
Sofa King

This is how I snare the tasty crustaceans.

I use a good 12ft surf rod, Ugly Stick is a good choice, and a Penn Spinfisher950 or a Penn Fierce. Fill with 50#-65# braid. others like mono 25# minimum.
You need a solid reel as crab snaring is hard on gear. Stay away from graphite reels. Go solid metal.
I acquire a few Proven Performance Sofa King Snares.
I Stuff the snare with a weight, 6-8oz and as much squid, herring, hotdogs, etc as I can fit. Its okay if the door on the snare isn't closed all the way. When the crab take and eat the bait the rubberband closes the trap.
With a heave and a ho and a mighty throw cast over the breakers.
Now for the fun.
Wait 6-8minutes and haul back on the rod. You usually don't see the crab take the bait.
Do Not Set the hook. If you pull too hard you rip the legs off. Just haul back. If there's a crab the rod will load up.
Start reeling immediately keeping tension on the snare. steady reeling is more important than speed. If you let up and slack the line the crab will fall out of the snare.
Crab are fast. If your snare comes up empty after 7 minute soaks re-bait and wait only 5minutes. If the snare is untouched after 7 minutes wait 10minutes.
If you are getting no takers after a few blank pulls on a 10 minute soak either move up the beach/pier or cook lunch and try again. When the tide and current get moving fast the crab tend to bury in the sand and wait for it to slow down.

Most important!!!!
HAVE FUN.
This can be a very addictive kind of fishing.
Post how you do here and let us know your experience.

Sofa King Snare:

Limit:

This is a triple:

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:14 pm
cencalfisher

I had never heard of this until I read this!

some general questions what type of beach area and what tide is best I live on the central coast and know there is crab in Avila but was wondering if a sandy beach area like surf perch type area would produce or if I would be best going to a beach that I would rock fish just not casting over seaweed.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:20 pm
Sofa King

Time to bump this thread.
Crab is upon us.

<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:09 am
Tifoso

I have to do this. Where do you get the snare?

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:08 pm
la mosca

Tifoso wrote:

SofaKing makes them - it's in his signature you can contact him at: sofakingsnares@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:46 pm
Tifoso

la mosca wrote:
Tifoso wrote:

SofaKing makes them - it's in his signature you can contact him at: sofakingsnares@gmail.com

Ah, ok! Thank you! Smile

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:00 pm
expo23

gotta love the leader for Sofa's Snares.

I walked passed a dude with a different snare and all the snares were all closed during retrieval.

ill be headed out to HMB tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:01 pm
sea_forager

Those are some tasty looking crabs in those shots.

For real though, crabbing here in San Francisco-- be it from shore, pier, or paddling out and dropping traps-- is some of the most fun I've had in years. Nothing like putting in your time at the beach, hauling home some keepers, and making homemade california rolls, crab cakes, dungeness eggs benedict, etc..

Even better is having a freezer so full of crab that you just start dropping off freshly steamed crab to your friends or offer the neighbors some!

The hardest part of snaring the crab for me personally has always been setting the snare. I do moderately well out there but I definitely know I've lost a ton of crabs with the initial reel-in; crabs do indeed move incredibly quickly in the water-- try catching them by hand some time!-- and I think I'm just not setting myself up for a proper retrieval most of the time.

Question: How much do you reel in before you pause and then do your big "snare set" ?

I often will reel my line in until I feel that tension where I know I'm about to start dragging that weight through the water, pause for a few seconds, then do my big retrieval. Half the time though I think that reeling it in until I feel tension is spooking whatever crabs are hanging out. Is that accurate?

I also love the creativity people put into the snares they use! Sofa's look great and I may pick a couple up just to try them out. I just bought a couple weird ones that look like a missile (seriously) from some maker in Modesto just for the novelty of it and will give a report of how well they work when the weather clears up. Whatever works though!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:19 pm
sea_forager

Also, another question: What brand of metal rods would any of you recommend for throwing heavy from shore? I'll be buying another pole in the coming months and am looking for a 12'+ pole.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:02 pm
Sofa King

sea_forager wrote:
Those are some tasty looking crabs in those shots.

For real though, crabbing here in San Francisco-- be it from shore, pier, or paddling out and dropping traps-- is some of the most fun I've had in years. Nothing like putting in your time at the beach, hauling home some keepers, and making homemade california rolls, crab cakes, dungeness eggs benedict, etc..

Even better is having a freezer so full of crab that you just start dropping off freshly steamed crab to your friends or offer the neighbors some!

The hardest part of snaring the crab for me personally has always been setting the snare. I do moderately well out there but I definitely know I've lost a ton of crabs with the initial reel-in; crabs do indeed move incredibly quickly in the water-- try catching them by hand some time!-- and I think I'm just not setting myself up for a proper retrieval most of the time.

Question: How much do you reel in before you pause and then do your big "snare set" ?

I often will reel my line in until I feel that tension where I know I'm about to start dragging that weight through the water, pause for a few seconds, then do my big retrieval. Half the time though I think that reeling it in until I feel tension is spooking whatever crabs are hanging out. Is that accurate?

I also love the creativity people put into the snares they use! Sofa's look great and I may pick a couple up just to try them out. I just bought a couple weird ones that look like a missile (seriously) from some maker in Modesto just for the novelty of it and will give a report of how well they work when the weather clears up. Whatever works though!

I just reel in most of the slack and then haul back.
If you want my snares, my email is sofakingsnares@gmail.com and we can talk there.

<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: