pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> What are some good Bonito lures? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm
Big Ray

Hi everyone my name is Ray and I just got into fishing for Bonito not too long ago. I fish for them at the short pier in Redondo beach and I was wondering if any of you guys can give me some advice on the best lures to catch them. Thanks
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:03 pm
jeremywang97

I know spoons work pretty well. stuff like kastmasters and krocodiles. but i'm not very familiar with bonito fishing and you gotta consider the fact that fishing spoons and other lures from piers is a very hard task to do.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 pm
jim c

When I worked on boats way back when at Redondo we used heavy white or blue and white metal jigs, like Tady jigs fished fast on the surface. The ones we used the most were called "candy bars" What did work from piers or small boats was a bubble and small feather behind it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:11 am
Big Ray

Thanks guys. I so far caught Bonito with the fly and splashier setup. I heard that Krocodiles work but I am not sure what size and color to use.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:43 am
mav

A bubble and feather works really well...

Some small irons that I've used are Krocodiles, Cast Masters, Point Wilson Anchovie Darts, Crippled Herrings, and Hopkins but the ones that work for finiky bonito are the now discontinued Squidco Dart and the Haddock Jig-n-Spoon... Most of the jigs are easy to find but the Haddocks have become more difficult lately... This is one of the few places that sells them now...

http://www.luckycattackle.com/index.php/lucky-cat-fishing-systems/haddock-jig-n-spoon-1-1-8-3-8.html

Don't knock the one with the freshwater bass design... I've found it works really well for bonito...

As for weight, I use from 3/8 oz to just over 1 oz, depending on the type of jig and fishing conditions on the pier...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:08 am
Big Ray

Yeah the bubble and feather is good. I never used the bubble I used a golf ball but I seen the bubble catch fish so I know that it works. Those Jig-n-Spoons look good but If I was try one what would be the best way to use it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:51 am
mav

Golf balls work too... I had some for that purpose but my neices and nephews took them because they were colorful..

Well first of all you need to know the type of sea floor you are fishing... If you are fishing a rocky or structured bottom, I don't suggest sinking all the way... You can sink it all the way if you are fishing a sandy bottom...

So you you would cast out and let it sink a little then reel qickly with some quick twitches of the rod tip... If the lure reaches the surface and you have followers, just twitch and don't reel because you may pull the jig out of the water and away from the fish.. If no followers or hits, just let it sink a little and do it all over again until you reach the pier... Then yo yo a couple of times and then reel up and cast it again... You can vary the technique but I've explained the basics...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 am
Big Ray

Thanks!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 am
Ken Jones

Go to the search feature (old and new) and you will find many, many threads on the best lures for bonito. A couple of really good advice posts were contributed by Scooterfish and GDude.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:26 am
Newb

Can some explain the bubble and feather or golf ball and feather in more detail to me? I don't get it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:09 pm
jeremywang97

ive never used it before but from what ive read, im pretty sure its like this

(<--to rod)----(line)-----(castabubble or ball)-------(bonito feather)

the ball or cast-a-bubble creates commotion on the surface, enticing bonito. the bonito see the feather and strike. pretty sure it works like that. not 100% sure though. someone correct me if im wrong
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:55 pm
Big Ray

I've only used the golf ball a few times and that seems right to me. I thought it would be more complicated. All I did was look for the Bonito boiling and threw it past them. Then I just reeled it in really fast and they pretty much hooked themselves. I know that I need more practice with it but so far I trust that the most to catch them. Oh yeah I just used a 3 foot leader and it seemed to work ok. Other guys were using really long ones but I don't think that I can handle casting a 12 foot leader.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:23 pm
red fish

Big Ray wrote:
I've only used the golf ball a few times and that seems right to me. I thought it would be more complicated. All I did was look for the Bonito boiling and threw it past them. Then I just reeled it in really fast and they pretty much hooked themselves. I know that I need more practice with it but so far I trust that the most to catch them. Oh yeah I just used a 3 foot leader and it seemed to work ok. Other guys were using really long ones but I don't think that I can handle casting a 12 foot leader.

I believe as you stated, it is in how you work the rigs that is important, as the rigs themselves are pretty straight-forward in setting them up (granted with some user longer or shorter leader lengths.)

I like just using a torpedo weight of about 2 to 3 ounces with eyes on either end. Tying that on the tag-end of the line, adding a length of leader, then bonito fly. Straight retrieve! With the splasher-rigs, I personally lost a lot of fish, during the popping, as I would pull it away from them.

Green/chartreuse lures like the Kroc pictured in 3" seem to work well as well as 3" swimbaits in chartruese

kroc.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.04 KB
 Viewed:  9299 Time(s)

kroc.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:23 pm
mav

Those chrome krocs with green prism are cuda killers also...

Once I was trying to target other species of fish and the bonito wouldn't let me sink my ghost shrimp to the bottom... Darn those bonito! LOL Good times...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 pm
polishfromthedeep

My favorite is a 2 oz megabait in the sardine pattern. Toss that all day long on 15lb test and you can catch all kinds of fish on that setup, including boneheads. I know there's big fish around or there are macks constantly tearing up the smaller iron I'll toss the 4.5oz megabait on heavier line.

Not sure if you can find megabaits anymore tho.

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 3  Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: