pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Newell Reels [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:32 pm
sharkfishing_805

Any information on newell reels? any fisherman have inputs on this reel? might get one very soon
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:57 am
woody82270

One of the best reels ever made. Carl newell died 2 years ago, and now they are very hard to find. Look on ebay and cl. But you will pay a premium. Cast like a dream, durable, and simple.
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:18 pm
tackleholic

Lots of guys fish them and collect them. Jig fishermen especially like them because they are light and cast well, but they are older school reel technology which may not be a bad thing because they are easy to work on....swap drag washers, etc. Negative thing is under heavy load, on some models, fighting big fish, the graphite handle can possibly break. I think the quality control on the later, post 2000 year newells has been a little inconsistent. I once saw a guy fish a brand new, out of box newell, first fish he hooks is a nice 30-40 lb. class wahoo, but he lost it because his new reel binded up and it popped off. He was taking apart in the galley that night, opened up the gear box, and all these metal shavings fell out. Good thing he had just bought it and still had the receipt so he said he would just return it for another. This can happen to any brand of new reel though if it wasnt put together quite right at the factory and the defect wont show until you hook something nice. A similar thing happened to me on that same trip where i hooked a small 10 lb. yellow with a brand new shimano torium and my freespool lever wouldnt function after that first fish. I had to take it apart and reassemble it in the galley and then it was fine and caught many fish.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:14 pm
sharkfishing_805

woody82270 wrote:
One of the best reels ever made. Carl newell died 2 years ago, and now they are very hard to find. Look on ebay and cl. But you will pay a premium. Cast like a dream, durable, and simple.

thanks for the input just wondering because i saw some new ones in Turners Outdoorsman, might get one tomorrow just for pier fishing and a little inshore
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:16 pm
sharkfishing_805

tackleholic wrote:
Lots of guys fish them and collect them. Jig fishermen especially like them because they are light and cast well, but they are older school reel technology which may not be a bad thing because they are easy to work on....swap drag washers, etc. Negative thing is under heavy load, on some models, fighting big fish, the graphite handle can possibly break. I think the quality control on the later, post 2000 year newells has been a little inconsistent. I once saw a guy fish a brand new, out of box newell, first fish he hooks is a nice 30-40 lb. class wahoo, but he lost it because his new reel binded up and it popped off. He was taking apart in the galley that night, opened up the gear box, and all these metal shavings fell out. Good thing he had just bought it and still had the receipt so he said he would just return it for another. This can happen to any brand of new reel though if it wasnt put together quite right at the factory and the defect wont show until you hook something nice. A similar thing happened to me on that same trip where i hooked a small 10 lb. yellow with a brand new shimano torium and my freespool lever wouldnt function after that first fish. I had to take it apart and reassemble it in the galley and then it was fine and caught many fish.

Do you think they might hold up for shark fishing off a pier?,seen many fisherman use them for shark
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 pm
red fish

woody82270 wrote:
Couldn't have said it better myself..

Quote:
Do you think they might hold up for shark fishing off a pier?,seen many fisherman use them for shark
I have one Newell to my name, the 454-C (it is like 4/0 size). I bought it around 1998 (and was advertised in the store as 'best casting.') It was 150.00 on closeout. I believe it was replaced with the 533, but I heard the quality control might have not been as good later on from what I heard? I wanted a reel that could hold a lot of monofilament, wasn't real heavy, strong drag, and could cast well from shore--this particular reel fit the bill. When I first got it, I put over-kill 60# mono on it (but it worked and still casted great) but only like 230 yards. Now I use it with 40 mono about 400 yards. I might go down to 30 even (fits an entire 1/4# spool). Never a dull moment with this reel with sharks and rays (although never a sturgeon?maybe 30# will be the secret). Used it with 100# braid for awhile too. One of the best star drag systems, and loud clicker (although mine is worn out and quieter). Never a problem with the graphite handle, although you can always change that if it happens to break. Good hi-speed jigging, 5-something, and fast enough for bottom-fishing in 300 feet of water or so with big lead. A great monofilament reel (braid wasn't even popular when I got mine and Avet had a poor rep. then). If you wanted to go with braid, an Avet for 65# or 80# braid, like the JX . If you were going big mono, 40 or 50#, you might give old Carl Newell a jingle--R.I.P. Still one of the most interesting reels in my collection as Newells have always been more popular in SoCal (so you don't see many in No-cal as much). Some guys like the small 229 Newell like No-Cal's Cameron Bros (commercial sport). Funny, some people say,'that is a nice big Penn,' when they see the Newell because they have never seen one... and.. I just reply..'yeah.' Cool
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:07 pm
tackleholic

sharkfishing_805 wrote:
tackleholic wrote:

I don't see why not. They are still used quite a bit on long range as a jigging reel for surface iron yellows and heavy jigs for yellows and wahoo. I've seen some slug 40 lb. class yellows taken by on newells by guys throwing iron at cedros. Just put some carbon fiber drag washers in it lightly greased, if it doesnt already come with them. Wouldnt hurt to go through the reel, take it apart, put it back togethrt, to make sure all the right spots are greased. As i recall, the guy who,had metal shavings fall out of hiis reel, it didnt appear to have any grease on the gear assembly. If anything, it would be a lot of fun fighting a big shark on a newell, but it might be a little harder on the angler than say a newer reel with bigger drag washers like a trinidad/torium or an avet 2 speed. Too bad you couldnt get some lower gears like 3:1 for the newell, because you dont really need 5:1 gear ratio for shark/ray bait fishing. Fighting a shark on 3:1 would be a lot easier than 5 or 6:1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 pm
ARCADIAN

I love all my newell Reels!! I have 4 Myself. I think 6 I forget the count, great reels that's for sure!!
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: