pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Rockfish rod/reel [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:30 pm
garrickyuen

I'm looking to fish for rockfish mainly at HMB and maybe around the Monterey Bay area so I was hoping some of you guys can recommend me a rod and reel. I've searched old posts before and it seems like a lot of people use either the Lamiglas Surf King, the beefstick, or Daiwa rods I believe? For reels I was looking at Penn Spinfisher 5500S I believe but I don't know if that'd do the job? Any advice would be great.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:18 pm
mav

I don't do much rockfish fishing and I'm more of a conventional reel guy when using heavier line but that reel looks good to me...

My brother has a 2 piece 11' Lamiglas Surf King set up for a conventional reel and I like it... We threw on an old 146 Penn Squidder to test out the rod and we kept casting a 1oz wieght until we could no longer see where the weight was landing in the water...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:08 am
illcatchanything2

I personally am not much of a Lami fan, but if you are, then that setup should work well.

If it were me, I would go with a 10'-12' Ugly Stick. The Spinfisher is a good reel if you like spinners.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:06 am
mav

illcatchanything2 wrote:
I personally am not much of a Lami fan, but if you are, then that setup should work well.

If it were me, I would go with a 10'-12' Ugly Stick. The Spinfisher is a good reel if you like spinners.

I wasn't a Lami fan at first either but my brother got one on discount and then another... We exchanged rods while fishing and I started liking them. My train of thought was that the Lami seems to be a more sensitive rod than the Ugly Stick.... The Ugly Stick is probably more durable...

I'm still a believer in Ugly Sticks, especially the older ones... You can't beat that soft glass tip in certain fishing (perch, live bait, slow spoons)... I have a custom 6' that I use in tough conditions and I'm also sitting on a 7' Ugly Stick blank, for future plans...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:12 am
jeremywang97

hey does anyone ever use those 15 dollar discount cheapo rods at big5?

ive considered recommending it to my cash-strapped friends but at the same time, i dont want them to get a non-functional rod thatll break in 4 trips
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:01 pm
RobF

illcatchanything2 wrote:
...and I'm also sitting on a 7' Ugly Stick blank, for future plans...

Ouch! LOL!

Last edited by RobF on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:01 pm
mav

Do they have $15 cheapos at Big 5? The Big 5 here sells their products with over inflated prices...

I've seen some cheap $15-$20 Shimano rods before... I'd recommend those... I think to save cost they skimped on the guides for the thick cheaper older style...

With cheapo rods, if the blank seems too flimsy for the diameter, it'll probably break...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:44 pm
jeremywang97

the big5 i live by usually has about half a dozen on sale at any given time
they range from 15-20, depending on whether or not they come with mini-kits
the ones that usually pop up are roddy hunter rod/reel combo
but since their rods are absolutely diabolical, i switched one out with an old south bend rod that was nice and flexible (the south bend reel broke)
it works just fine for baitfishing but when i consider the fact that some of my froends want to move into bass and all, im a lil hesitant
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:02 am
mav

jeremywang97 wrote:
the big5 i live by usually has about half a dozen on sale at any given time
they range from 15-20, depending on whether or not they come with mini-kits
the ones that usually pop up are roddy hunter rod/reel combo
but since their rods are absolutely diabolical, i switched one out with an old south bend rod that was nice and flexible (the south bend reel broke)
it works just fine for baitfishing but when i consider the fact that some of my froends want to move into bass and all, im a lil hesitant

Yea, if you're talking about calico and sand bass, you'd need something heavy... Spotted bay bass you can get away with something of medium weight...

RobF wrote:
illcatchanything2 wrote:
...and I'm also sitting on a 7' Ugly Stick blank, for future plans...

Ouch! LOL!

Yea, it really hurts butt you get use to it... LOL Didn't see your post at first..
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:40 pm
dkkim

I know the reels on the those combo poles/reels at Big5 are usually crap. They typically break or malfunction after one good trip. I bought a cheapo rod/reel combo for a friend to do some last minute bass/catfish fishing up at lake berryessa... It broke after about 5-10 casts.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:11 pm
bipnilaga

Ugly stik (the ones with the Fuji guides) and braid is a match made in heaven.
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: