pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Baked Brie with Mussels and Clams with Pasta [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 pm
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

I just felt like posting two recipes; the first one that I put together after not finding anything on the 'net; the second cobbled together after years of cooking.

Baked Brie with Mussels

After gathering your mussels (in season), I now lightly scrape back and forth over the shell with a small paring knife to remove lose debris (thanks, Dan). Somewhere on the internet, someone posted that he was "lazy" so he roasted his mussels in a pre-heated 400 oven until they opened; that way, all the debris ended up on the cookie tray rather than in the shellfish had they been boiled in a pot. The mussel meats will be finished off in the recipe. (The broth in the tray can be strained; I use coffee filters in a strainer.)

If the mussels have sand in their stomachs, trim the stomachs away--you don't lose any meat and the sand is only in the tummies. You might want to check for tiny pearls embedded in the flesh. I also snip off the beard, finding the base of the beard and snipping below that.

FINALLY, preheat oven to 350. Remove a wheel of brie cheese from the fridge (easier to slice if chilled). (If you are live in the San Francisco Bay Area, the Marin French Cheese Company has FABULOUS prices on their wheels. We have gotten "short" 1-lb wheels [.98 of a pound is close enough] for $2.50.) Wet a serrated knife and slice the chilled cheese horizontally in half. Cover the bottom layer with mussels, smoked (that's another recipe for another day) or unsmoked and top with the remaining half and place in baking dish. Pop in oven for 30-40 minutes or until melted,bubbly and lightly browned.

(This is even better with crab, cooked and shelled, of course.)

Let cool for 15 minutes and serve with bread, crackers, or veggie sticks.

Clams with Pasta

After you all gather your clams (the kind you can find with your feet, not the ones you have to dig to the center of the earth for) in your super secret clamming spots:

Clams, purged, steamed and chopped if large
Clam broth, strained, from the steaming
Olive oil, OR equal amounts of vegetable oil and butter
As much garlic as you would like, minced
Curly parsley, snipped
Meyer lemons, 1-3, depending on your taste, size of lemons and generosity of your neighbor
Green onion, thinly sliced
Fresh basil, snipped, optional
Red Pepper, to taste
Pasta

Cook your pasta. (I am a VERY lazy cook. Decades ago, I read somewhere that this person cooked all pasta by bringing the pot of water to a boil, stirred in the pasta [to keep it from sticking], brought the pot back to a boil, put the lid back and TURNED OFF THE HEAT and left it undisturbed for 7 minutes. Hey, it works for me. Remove the lid, stir and drain. If pasta is to be further cooked, let it sit for 5 minutes.

In a large frying pan, saute the garlic until soft and aromatic in the olive oil or butter/oil mixture.

Add the clam juice and heat thoroughly. Squeeze the lemon juice into the mixture, stir and add the clams and red pepper, heating gently and stirring.

Divide the pasta into large bowls, add one ladle of sauce and toss to coat the pasta, then add more sauce. Garnish pasta with the parsley, green onion and basil, if using. Serve with crusty bread.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: