pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> First tackle for a 7 year old. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:41 pm
frozendog

I have a 7 year old nephew who wants to fish for strippers on the Napa river. I am an ocean fisherman and know nothing about fishing rivers.
Any suggestions for a first rod and reel?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:08 pm
Rockfish Ninja

If he's going for stripers he'll need a decent strength rig cause they can get big and even midsize fish are tough fighters. At 7 that setup might be a little big for him, if you buy a rig that fits his size it might be in the "trout pole" range and will only handle juvenile fish.

Tough to give advice on that but if you get a smaller rod make sure it's the heaviest/toughest of the little ones.... ....or if he's an adventurous kid get him a 7ft uglystick and a spinning reel and point him to the riverbank. (Just don't start him out on braid, gotta be mono)

Good luck.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 am
red fish

Quote:
Tough to give advice on that but if you get a smaller rod make sure it's the heaviest/toughest of the little ones.... ....or if he's an adventurous kid get him a 7ft uglystick and a spinning reel and point him to the riverbank. (Just don't start him out on braid, gotta be mono)

Walt, I agree with the above. Something like an 8- 10# test monofilament rig. 5-7' tops. I had gotten my nephew one of those Uglystik spinner combo rods with the all metal reel and it is a decent combo that can catch some nice fish. If someone is around that can give a little instruction on casting, that will be fine. Otherwise, you might want to consider a spincast like the Zebco 33. Something that can throw 1/4 to perhaps three ounces tops on lead.

A rig like that is perfect for the areas around Napa close in for stripers around the marshes.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:27 pm
woody82270

Make that +1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:54 pm
muttfishr

Yea, I applaud the young mans ambition, but, everything in its own time! ofcourse, Im not suggesting a Ken/Barbie pole, but a nice 5 1/2 or 6ft ugly stick with either a zebco 33 or a mid-range spinning reel would work for the first years anyhow. Trout, bluegill, blackbass, crappie ect. There is a learning curve that we all have had to go through, you don't want to "rob" him of that! More important than the tackle part, is the mentor part, who's gonna take him out and teach'em the knots, the set-ups,n you know all the rest. A mentor such as yourself would be like a perfect world, I don't know, maybe Im talking outta a hole in the side of my neck, but there it is anyway...mutt.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 am
dkkim

zebco all the way. Go kill some stripers!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 am
pinfish

an ugly stik combo boat rod with entry level spinning reel and mono line. No kid's toy gear. That's how I started at about the same age. Do it for reals.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:40 pm
Sin_Coast

Get him a 13ft G-Loomis GLX rod and Shimano Stradic Ci4 reel....ha!

Kidding of course. But for real, I'd suggest a 6 to 7ft rod thats rated 8-15lb line. For a reel, either a spincast or spinning. I started my son on a spincast then transitioned to a spinning reel and he can cast like a pro now...at age 6. But I usually give him a rod under 6ft long--like a 5.5ft medium Ugly Stik.

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: