pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> MASTER brand rods advice? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm
CatchinKelp

I have a feeling already that this is an off-brand rod but humor me. When I was just getting started in 2010, I went to the neighborhood sporting goods store, where they were getting rid of all their fishing tackle. I saw a 11' MASTER brand spinning surf rod in black, graphite composite blank. It was only $10 used and I needed a rock fishing setup so I bought it. It still works great today even though it is unwieldy.

What is your opinion on this brand? What is the history of the brand?

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:43 pm
Sofa King

I use a couple master surf rods of various 12ft styles. They work great for snaring crab and are cheap enough if they break, no big deal. One of them is over 25yrs old.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:44 pm
sharkfishing_805

i had a conventional master rod didn't like it..to heavy and the guides were not as good neither..
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:15 am
tackleholic

I'd stay away from them. When I would look at rods at big 5, they would always carry that brand of rod ad they just seemed like junk. I was even fiddling with a combo off the rack...some kind of rockfish boat rod and noticed the reel seat would spin from the weight of the reel. I guess they didn't use very good glue because I could spin it completely around several times. You get what you pay for...I'd rather wait for a better rod to go on sale and pay more. You might get lucky and get a decent one though but I'd say that's the exception.
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:16 am
red fish

Yes, the old Masters are unyielding-characterized by firmness or obduracy.... I used some of the rods right after I got out of college and started fishing once more in my early 20's. The reels...no. The rods are okay (except for the guides). A few good rays and the guides are toast (that is, you will see a groove wearing in them). I'm talkin' about the ones from 25 years ago like Hans! The ones now, some can crack on the first cast (just ask BigRich) from lack of quality control on mass production. The one thing Hans didn't tell you is he knows how to re-wrap guides! If you know how to do a basic wrap, or knows a nice guy like at Berkeley Bait or something that does 'em for $2-5, you're golden. For a cheap, big, spinner, the Shakespeare Alpha can't be beat! I don't buy big spinners that much anymore, cause I am trying to get away from big rods..but my friend BigRich steered me towards a 12' white (good for night fishing) Alpha (medium 10-25) from Walmart recently for shore casting, and I have caught some good rays with it so far. I have a Penn 9500SS on it filled with 30# hi-vis Berkeley Big Game florescent line. More sensitivity than the 11' Ugly Stik (heavy 12-40) I bought at a 24 hour Super KMart over (10) years for $50 (non USA made). Sure, the top will crack on the Alpha if I high-stick it on big ray, but it is Shakespeare and has some of that same goodness from the famed Ugly's. If a guide wears over time, I will get Hans to re-wrap it (or show me how). Cool Happy Fishing....
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:02 pm
CatchinKelp

Thanks, all. I don't use the "Fuglybeast" for anything bigger than lings so I guess it hasn't had a reason to break so far. At any rate, it was a good starter rockfishing rod for $10. I use it about 10 times a year and the guides haven't worn down yet.

EDIT: My Master looks like it is from the early 90s. Definitely quite older than what's on the shelf at Big 5.

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:54 pm
mav

I've never owned a heavy one but all the light ones I've owned had broken tips... I agree, the guides do wear out quickly... You can always use it as a loaner...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: