pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> The best way to cook fish, is to not cook it at all. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:14 am
spicytuna

Here's a sashimi combo i made for a buddy of mine.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:14 pm
spicytuna

here's an aji whole fish sashimi (spanish mackerel) with ponzu vinegarette & fresh grated ginger
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:39 pm
pboy

Im right with ya!!!! looks good
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:01 am
illcatchanything2

Nice. You are an artist!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:13 pm
t177

spicytuna wrote:
here's an aji whole fish sashimi (spanish mackerel) with ponzu vinegarette & fresh grated ginger

I had the same thing in Japan but the fish was still twitching when the sashimi plate came to my table. It might be gross to some of you, but I thought the fish tasted better becaues of seeing how "fresh" the fish was.

Your sashimi plates look very appetizing! Are you a Sushi chef?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:28 pm
iamfisherman

I always thought you had to cook macks in vineger before consumming to kill off parasites. that mack looks to fresh to have been soaking in vineger. i'd be scare to eat fresh mack.

but on the other hand dang that sashimi plate looks so good. my favorite sashimi only no rice...yum...
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:21 pm
spicytuna

you dont cook them in vinegar, you marinate / soak them. this goes for the pacific blue and green mackerel (saba), not the spanish (aji). the acetic acid in the vinegar cures the meat, just like citric acid is used to make ceviche.

3 parts rice vinegar
1 parts sugar
1 part pickled ginger
1 part lemon / orange / yuzu (quartered)

wrap the filets (deboned), skin on with dashi-konbu (flavored kelp), meat side down. soak for 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on outside air temperature. store in refrigeration until marination is complete. drain the juice, and unwrap the fish. slice and serve.

note: it is difficult to remove the bones without destroying the whole form of the meat if you attempt to debone the fish after marination. the acetic acid (vinegar) weakens the bones so they break off when you pull.

the reason that you marinate the blues and greens is that the fish taste is very potent. sushi chefs often refer to mackerel as the "fishy fish". it is often served with pickled or fresh grated ginger, and lemon to make it easier on the palette.

in case if you havent noticed, the parasites are in the stomachs of the fish, which are removed before serving. also, traditional sashimi (raw fish, not cooked)is not served with rice. sushi (nigiri) is raw fish served over rice is a fairly new concept, which came only after the discovery of electricity. btw, id be scared to eat it as well, knowing that you were the one preparing it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 pm
iamfisherman

cook as in curing, soaking, etc...you know...just choice of word...

but i ain't going to stop eating raw fish...guess i'm just like the japanese where i can't wait for my fish to cook...hahaha...
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:23 pm
cjmedina

looks good. I've been doing the same, but I don't do anything to my macs (oceanside pier) except keep them on ice intil I get home them freeze them for day or so. Slice them up right when there thawing out and dip it in some soy sauce and wasbi
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:14 am
norcalrod

Has anyone heard of a law in California that requires all sushi bars that mandates that raw fish served in restaurants to be frozen for 3 days at 0 degrees F?

According to the sushi bar that I frequent that's the word I got. Also, most all of the salmon that you get at the bars nowadays are farm raised salmon.

I've begun eating sashimi/sushi based on the Monterrey Bay Aquarium's sustainable fishing chart.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:52 am
spline9

norcalrod wrote:
Has anyone heard of a law in California that requires all sushi bars that mandates that raw fish served in restaurants to be frozen for 3 days at 0 degrees F?

According to the sushi bar that I frequent that's the word I got. Also, most all of the salmon that you get at the bars nowadays are farm raised salmon.

I've begun eating sashimi/sushi based on the Monterrey Bay Aquarium's sustainable fishing chart.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx

As far as I understand (and I could be wrong), all fish must be frozen (not sure about temp or duration) before sale to kill parasites. I'll ask my local fishmonger for details if you like but spicytuna seems to know the industry so he may be able to answer.

The fish market I go to has a great selection of very fresh fish. I've had farm raised and wild caught salmon that I ate as sashimi. Unfortunately, I havent done a taste comparison so I cant tell you which is best. Maybe one of these days I'll subject myself to such a task. For uh... science.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:20 pm
kkm557

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi#Safety_notes

Here are some basic ideas for freezing time related to temperature. When I used to make ceviche, I found a chart that covered more temperatures (such as those that can be found in your in home fridge). I just remember it was for at least a week or some absurdly long time.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:10 pm
eg6640

cjmedina wrote:
looks good. I've been doing the same, but I don't do anything to my macs (oceanside pier) except keep them on ice intil I get home them freeze them for day or so. Slice them up right when there thawing out and dip it in some soy sauce and wasbi

I fish Oceanside pier also, and If I catch a mack big enough I do the same. Although the best Sashimi I ever ate was a yellowfin, pulled on the boat, and cut up right then and there! Aint nothin fresher or better!!!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: