pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> surf lure retrieving question..? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:32 pm
sfdragon

i was wondering if anyone has tried dipping the tail feathers of a buck tail or hair raiser in some scent to help attract fish?

i know chumming the waters when fishing from a boat or pier often works so shouldn't this tactic also work surf fishing?

so far i have tried this tactic a few times with mixed results.

luckily the slevad lures i use don't cost much.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:27 pm
sfdragon

i forgot to ask this question...?

when using lures...from main line i use a barrel swivel tied to shock leader tied to a snap swivel so i can easily change lures.

does this effect the lures action in any way? or should i tie directly to main line or is there a better way to tie on lures?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:33 am

though swivels do help control line twisting which can be a problem especially with certain types of lures, i don't like using them for the fact they may also mess with the action of the lures.

if i go to a straight tie, i typically go with two different types of knots: one the name escapes me but it is basically a small loop or i use a uni knot, which i try to keep the loop, but it closes typically after the first few casts. for the convenience of swapping out lures i will use a very small duolock snap sans the swivel tied with a palomar knot. i want that loop to allow free moving of the lure.

sfd, how long is your shock leader? if we are talking OB/pacifica surf fishing, i tend to fish either 30# braid mainline to about 10' plus 3 spool wraps of 30#+ shockleader tied by uni. in snaggy areas, i may tie on to the shockleader another but much shorter leader, a bit lighter than my mainline. this is in hopes that if i do break off, that the short leader will snap before my mainline. typically the line closest to the lure will be fluorocarbon.

it is quite a bit of knots passing thru the guides, but i've learned to tie my knots pretty close and tight and i will wrap them either with floss or krazy glue that i try to minimize friction and pain to my guides.

scenting my hairraisers? yes, especially in churning water.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:09 am
norcalkat

what do you use to scent the hair raisers?

also has anyone ever put a worm on a mickey jig? looks like a hair raiser sorta.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:25 am
pinfish

I hate shock leaders. I tied direct to mainline, tie on a nice quality duolock. big black one from sampo
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 pm
sfdragon

thanks pinfish/1040 your posts will help me and others with using different knots and swivels with our lures.

at pacifica/ob i usually just tie on about a 16 inch 40lb fluorocarbon line to my 25lb p-line main line with a barrel swivel and a dual/snap swivel to the lure.

the scent being used might be a secret for each fisherman so i wouldn't expect anyone to tell thier favorite blend of scent but, one i have used often is the sturgeon cocktail works good for me but, is very smelly/messy to use. as for using a worm on a mikey jig... yes i tried using worms/sand crabs and cut fish but, i find it's too hard to keep them on the hook with all the constant casting.

i think experimenting with crazy ideas makes fishing more fun... (O__O)

now that can become a new topic in the future... lol
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:26 pm
sfdragon

ooops... sorry 1014 my bad... Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:36 pm
ob_kook

sfdragon wrote:
i was wondering if anyone has tried dipping the tail feathers of a buck tail or hair raiser in some scent to help attract fish?

i know chumming the waters when fishing from a boat or pier often works so shouldn't this tactic also work surf fishing?

so far i have tried this tactic a few times with mixed results.

luckily the slevad lures i use don't cost much.

I know of some fishermen who spray their lures with WD-40 for scent. No joke.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:57 am

ob_kook wrote:

I know of some fishermen who spray their lures with WD-40 for scent. No joke.

i've heard that too. never did it, and never will. I did try to look up on the `net for a "why?" most of the sites are just a confirmation of its use. here's one post that sounds sort of plausible:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4350

posted by TIME
Quote:
I have been told that, at one time, WD40 contained vegetable/fish oil extracts which provided the attractant for fish. It developed a cult following and people like Charlie White touted it. But over the years the formula has been changed and it is now a purely petroleum based product and is less attractive to fish, but still helps to mask human scent, and all the stuff that people use while out fishing, like sun screen. Don't use it myself, but I'm also a lousy fish catcher.
Don't know if this helps the debate, time for some top rods to do comparison testing?

I've heard the same thing about an "enzyme" in the past as well.

here's another link about the wacky uses of WD40:
http://www.wackyuses.com/wd40.html

Top of the list is this:
Quote:
Attract fish. When sprayed on fishing bait, WD-40 covers up the scent of human hands on the bait to better lure fish, according to USA Today. The WD-40 Company receives hundreds of letters from consumers confirming this use, but prefers not to promote WD-40 as a fishing lure since the petroleum-based product could potentially pollute rivers and streams, damaging the ecosystem.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:20 am
norcalkat

i have been using a shock leader with 40lb test and 10lb test as my mainline. I want to be able to get some distance so using too heavy of a line makes it more difficult. I put a barrel then 2-3 feet of 40ln leader and a quick snap at the end to enable good lure presentation and also gives me the opportunity to switch lures quick and easy.

I was thinking of switching to spider wire that way i can get better diameter on the line and stronger line. and putting a shock leader at the end of that.

another thing i can recommend it a hook sharpener. thats a must!! i sharpen all my hooks and even do it after a hour of fishing to make sure they are good. Walmart sells a nice lil hook/knife sharpener that has worked great for me.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:24 am

i think folks are confusing a leader and a shock leader. a shock leader is added to the mainline to act as a shock absorber when casting big weights. most of the stress on the line happens during casting esp big weights and the SL helps carry that load. it's typically lay +reel to tip guide + 3 to 5 wraps around spool. so on my 10 ft surf and jetty rod, my shock leader would be 15' of 30# (or oz weight of lure x 10#) shock leader.

the "leader", tho may help somewhat with that shock, is typically shorter at 1-3 feet and used primarily to handle abrasions and/or line shy fish.

on my lighter outfits (>2 1/2oz) i usually forgo the shock leader and go strictly with a leader (unless i'm ultra lazy, the area isnt ultra abrasive or the target isn't ultra lineshy then i go mainline direct)

NK, I do agree on the sharpener for on the field WFO bite quick sharpening. typically tho, i'll swap out trebs to a stronger one. i like using one red hook as well as a black hook too. i'll still try to keep the "balance" and "action" of the lure. and after an incident (uggh)last year, i'll also dremel one of the hooks off.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:01 pm
sfdragon

well... fished ocean beach today with a few pfic members... 10-3pm

tried everything i learned here... no luck for me or anyone else on the beach except for lots of perch.

did scouting at bakers beach around 3:30 saw 4 poles near middle and about 5 guys near the rocks... rv park had about 5-10 bait fishing... muscle rock had about 15 guys plugging 20 guys chatting in the parking lot

was wondering... when plugging with no visible holes in sight... where do you toss your lure for better chances of finding fish?

in front of waves, between 2 waves, on the sides of a wave or hit the wave?
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:35 pm
norcalkat

good read.

http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=725

http://www.stripersurf.com/scast101_1.html

i am no expert myself. I am willing to pair up with some people, and we can learn from each other. always something new to learn out there.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: