pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Planning on getting new spinning rod (Suggestions welcomed) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 am
YoungAsianFisher

Hey PFIC! I'm planning to get another spinning rod. I've been surf fishing / off cliffs / jetties more than piers recently so I was planning on getting a 9' or 10'. So far the Daiwa Emcast and Sealine has caught my attention. I haven't read much reviews on the Emcast, but for the "new" Sealine, many vets of the Sealine X calls it garbage. But hey, you get what you pay for right? Anyone have any inputs for the two rods I've mentioned or do any of you have any suggestions as for what other rods I should look into? I would like to keep the cost of the rod close to or under $125 if possible. (Still a full time college student, working for tuition, gas money, and car parts so forgive me for a tight budget!)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 pm
Bunson

Shimano Clarus Salmon/Steelhead rod, highly regarded by the surf/jetty people down in SoCal.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am
fsh42na

if you're fishing off cliffs, you're gonna need something with more backbone than a steelhead rod. Have a look at a Lamiglass Surfking. I think they can be had locally for about $130 plus tax. Just make sure to test it out in the shop before leaving (or have the shop owner test it for you). I was at a local shop checking one out to make sure the guides were wrapped on the "spline" and the tip snapped off about 1 1/2 ft from the top! Had to buy it and then send in for warranty replacement. No problems with the replacement.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 am
dkkim

I have the Emcast Heavy... and it is heavy.
I think its 11 or 12 ft and I use it as my pier/shore sharay pole. The pole is a tank but doesn't feel too great, and if you're holding it a lot, I would not recommend it.

Maybe the medium pole would be different?
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 pm
RobF

How big of a fish are you going after? You need a pretty heavy pole to get anything more than a few pounds up a cliff without snapping it off. Those poles aren't much fun for anything else. Seems like the standard ugly sticks would do the job for you for much less than your budget.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:16 pm
Salty Nick v2

Both the Sealine-X and Emcast are pretty heavy and thick (Emcast is a little lighter and thinner than Sealine). For a bit more, I would get the Emblem - lighter and thinner rod, but with some backbone (kind of reminds me of the old Sealine-X's). I like the 12' from rocks and cliffs, because when pulling up a fish from rocks or cliff it helps to have some length to keep it out away from the rocks.

I also have an 11' Lamiglas Surf King and like that rod, too - reasonable price and good performance. But I've also heard stories of some of them breaking.

Rob also has good suggestion with the very reasonably priced Ugly Sticks - never liked the weight and thickness, but they are strong.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 am
Rockfish Ninja

I picked up a Daiwa Emcast 10ft med/heavy and it is tough and lightweight, a good choice for all around fishing. The Diawa Emblem series is about the same thickness but it has a much nicer flexible tip and cost a bit more.

My rule of thumb is: what feels good to your hands is the best way to go *along with the good advice of fellow fishermen* Balance that out and you'll make the right choice.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: