pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> To mag or not to mag? (on conventional reels) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Rockfish Ninja

That is the question. I've been using the old 1970's penn beachmaster for a great while, but with new technology I've been thinking about moving up to a modern reel with a better gear ratio and (maybe) magnetic backlash control. Did some looking around online and asked some opinions, and the opinions were so varied I was left even more in doubt as which way to go. So, I'll take the viewpoints of my fellow PFIC peeps on what they feel.

Some details:
-Paired with a 7ft penn powerstick med action.
(will be looking into a 10-11ft stick eventually)
-Usually use 20lb line *sometimes with braid backing.
-2-6 oz wts
-Baitfishing mostly, sometimes lures.
-Mostly fishing GG bridge area, shore,piers & rocks.
-I don't want levelwind.

I've noticed the Penn Squall, Diawa has some cool items, and a some of others like Avet, etc.

*I'm past 50 so my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and sometimes I lose sight of the weight causing even a cagey old veteran like me to get a backlash. That's why I was considering the mag casting control, what do you think?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:22 am
mav

I love them old Penns. I own a few myself, mainly for fishing bait. That slow gear ratio is great for cranking large fish up onto piers. It's not so fun when trying to jig lures fast. I've heard mags called training wheels because some people can't cast without them but mags can come in handy on a windy day.

I don't know much about the squall casting wise.

I hear good things about the sealines and top of the line millionaires casting well but I've only used the old version sealine and those high end casting millionaires are pricey. I hear those casting millionaires ain't no joke though, beating out some hotrodded Abus when casting.

The Avet SX or SX MC (magnetic cast control version) are good quality reels for your buck and can be made to cast really well with after market lubes even though they weren't created for long distance casting.

I like the Abu Ambassadeur rounds that were made in Sweden but currently you would have to find a used/new old stock one or custom make a maged one or non maged one yourself for the 7000 series using parts lists and figuring what parts work. For the 6000 and smaller sizes that are still made in Sweden, you would just need to get a CT cage/frame to remove the level wind and have it not look tacky as if the levelwind was missing. You can also convert the frame but that takes more work and parts. Abus current lineup of 6000 and smaller swedish ambassadeur reels doesn't contain any magged versions but you can find some new old stock mags out there.

Personally with the type of fishing you are doing, without the squall factored in, I'd go with the Avet. The only problem is MAYBE weight and that Avets stand out a lot plus a little nick will bug the hell out of you.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 am
jcool

Many older (and newer reels) can be magged simply by gluing rare earth magnets to the side plates of your reel, Spool needs to be aluminum for this to work.
I have magged Shimano TSM, Daiwa older 30H, 50H, Avet SX reels. They cast great when especially when you are casting 2 or more ounce weights. I can cast
my Shimano TSM without using my thumb!
Simply do a google search on magging reels and you should find several tutorials on how this is done. My only suggestions is after gluing, put a coat of epoxy over the magnet because magnets will rust over time.
So your old Penn should be able to be magged.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 pm
seabass_seeker

I magged my jigmaster by gluing on washers and sticking rare earth magnets onto them. That way I can add or remove as necessary. Never looking back.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 pm
Baitchucker_

Some of the Avet series can only be purchased with the mags (Raptor). Honestly, the only time I like mags is when I'm casting into/cross wind or with some really light bait.

When fishing those conditions, mag really help. Otherwise, non-mag is best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:12 am
Rockfish Ninja

Mav hit it on the head with "cranking fish up onto piers". In between all the little guys I pull up from under the pier I hit a decent size fish and the beachmaster is superior for that. I'll leave it stock just over the gear ratio alone.

Baitchucker mentioned the wind and that is always a factor at the Gate, but still prefers non mag. Do you feel the magnet will compromise distance as opposed to non-mag? In other words, will non-mag reels get more distance easily?

Sure wish I could try a magged reel before making an investment.
Thanks guys for your input.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:54 pm
bigred805

Get it.... unless you severely rely on maximum distance from your cast you will love it. I honestly don't think the average person will notice the distance lost between a magged and non magged reel. having the cast control is so nice for windy days or fishing at night when you cant see your weight hitting the water. Like everyone said you can mag your own reels as long as they have a metal spool and enough space inside the body of the reel to mount the magnets.I have an Avet SX that i'm going to mag in a couple days because without them the free spool is almost too fast to control. I use an Avet LX for pier/surf bait soaking and with the cast control on 2 i can overhead thump 6 & bait without fear of backlash. I would rather have training wheels on my reels then have an uh oh and destroy 50 bucks worth of braid.... my .02 cents
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 pm
red fish

Quote:
Baitchucker mentioned the wind and that is always a factor at the Gate, but still prefers non mag. Do you feel the magnet will compromise distance as opposed to non-mag? In other words, will non-mag reels get more distance easily?

Sure wish I could try a magged reel before making an investment.
Thanks guys for your input.

Find your comfort zone - and the reels that fit it. My two long-cast favorites are the Penn Squidder and the Penn GS 525. I can also cast my GS 555 long enough to get sturgeon in the deep holes from shore.

I would really say another thing to consider is if you want to flip a lever-drag from shore or stick with a star. The Penn GS's have high-speed (bait and jigging, strong gears, and cast far.

* In a sentence: if you want to buy a reel with a cast-control - it couldn't hoit (said with mimicked Joyzee accent). *

I wouldn't add on any rare earth magnets anymore. Did it; it helped build confidence; but, ultimately, thumb control rules! Ask old-schooler Snookie... breaking the spool with the thumb on the side of the spool rules + of course loading up the rod properly.

Off the ground cast (OTG) will avoid M A N Y backlashes.

Also, with a lever drag, you can adjust the lever drag to slow down the spool (brake) and then adjust a fighting drag. I have a Penn 25 GS leverdrag and an Avet Sx lever drag. Actually the 25 GS (now the 225GD) is too much reel for regular old bay fishing and actually takes some weight to get the spool revolving (not really a long-caster). The GS, Squidder, 20# test, 3 oz weight or up and away you go... My two centavos..

Oh, if you set your mag-control properly, it should not reduce any distance
Heard nothing but praises for the Penn-525 mag and my GS 525 does the same thing with help from my thumb(although it is a 15# test reel).
I hate to cast into a S T R O N G head on wind with any gear..period.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: