pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Pan Seared Rockfish [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 am
frozendog

I have also used lingcod in this recipe. This prep works better with bigger pieces of lingcod or fillets of rockfish. Havenít tried it with a cab yet.

Step 1:
Take your fish out of the refrigerator at least a 1/2 hour before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature. The fish will cook a lot better at this temperature. While itís coming to room temperature, make sure the fish is dry and then season with salt, pepper on one side (pepper can burn), and I like Chef Paulís poultry magic or Emrilís original. Then dust lightly with Wondra flour. Cornstarch or reg flour would also work. Season and coat both sides of the fish and let it sit on the counter for at least a half hour.

Heat a heavy duty frying pan (cast iron will also work) on med. high and when the pan is hot, add just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Then add two pats of butter and one garlic clove cut into 3 pieces into the pan. When you see the oil shimmering, butter is melted, add your fillets. Pan has to be hot. I have always cooked my fish on medium, but this dish needs high heat.

Let the fish sit on one side for at least three or four minutes. You want a light crust on the outside. Turn the fish over and you should see some color on the fish. Move the fish to the top of the pan, raise the pan to collect the oil in the bottom. Spoon the sauce over the fish three or four times. Notice the butter has changed color and is a lightly browned butter sauce. Donít let it smoke. Turn over the garlic occasionally to make sure it doesnít burn.

Lower the temp to med and cook the 2nd side about three minutes. But you need to keep checking to make sure you arenít burning the fish or butter - light color. My wife likes her fish cooked more done, I take mine out sooner. Itís up to you.

When I take the fish out of the pan, I spread some orange marmelade on the top - to taste. Gives it a nice glaze and flavor. Your fish will be sweet on the top, a little crunchy and moist in the middle. The more times you do it, the better it will be. You learn how you like your fish best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:09 pm
BigMav88210

Hmmmmm...... Yummy! Looks like some good stuff there!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: