Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> cajun red lightnin leader material [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:41 pm
Jun Dimagmaliw

tackleholic wrote:
So does the red color of this line really help make it invisible to the fish and help you get bit better? Ive never used the stuff but have used pink yozuri hybrid and Ande pink offshore for tuna and yellowtail, but i cant honestly say whether i got bit better with the pink than other anglers using clear. Maybe a stupid question because obviously you guys like this...but does using this darker red make a discernible difference than say using the same diameter line in clear or even pink?

It's part of their marketing and apparently has been lab tested. For the purpose of rockfishing, it matters not to me what color it is because I have used yellow in the past and I still caught rockies. I like it because of it's high resistance to abrasion. I have used up to 130 lb test P-line leader and it can't withstand the sharp rocks and kelp snags.

Jun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 pm
tackleholic

Ever try Yo-zuri hybrid? Its pretty durable stuff ive found and im pretty sure it comes in 100 lb. test although ir can be pretty stiff at that lb. test.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 pm
Jun Dimagmaliw

tackleholic wrote:
Ever try Yo-zuri hybrid? Its pretty durable stuff ive found and im pretty sure it comes in 100 lb. test although ir can be pretty stiff at that lb. test.

No, I have not but certainly thank you for suggesting that. It might give me a chance to try the pink colored ones. Always been intrigued by that. I wonder if it has to do with being invisible under water as well.

Jun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 am
RobF

I have to imagine that in the turbulent shore area, with all of the kelp in the water, that a fishing line would not look out of place. I used the cajun red 100lb until SurfSamurai bought out the entire North American stock, and now I'm using clear and pink. I don't see any difference in performance of the line or fish catching results.

With respect to abrasion resistance, most leaders won't be with you long enough to suffer failure from abrading through. Usually they will fail by snagging. But I definitely would not want to use braid as my leader because it would very likely be cut by a rock quickly.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 pm
tackleholic

RobF wrote:
I have to imagine that in the turbulent shore area, with all of the kelp in the water, that a fishing line would not look out of place. I used the cajun red 100lb until SurfSamurai bought out the entire North American stock, and now I'm using clear and pink. I don't see any difference in performance of the line or fish catching results.

With respect to abrasion resistance, most leaders won't be with you long enough to suffer failure from abrading through. Usually they will fail by snagging. But I definitely would not want to use braid as my leader because it would very likely be cut by a rock quickly.

Thats a really good point...all that kelp and grass can be reddish in color, plus it might even blendin better to rocks against than say clear or blue. Hmm...i have a 100 -150 yds of yozuri hybrid 100 lb. I had put as a topshot on one of my 30 sized reels but never used it. I took it off because it seemed too stiff with lots of memory but i guess ill keep it in case i ever fish rockfish from the shore up north. I just cant imagine having to bust it off if you are snagged...i had a hard enough time busting off 60 lb test with a short rod when i was stuck on the bottom in baja fishing dropper loop for yellows. Had to wrap the line around the reel which wasnt very smart in retrospect. When using leader that heavy..dont you ever have a difficult time busting off if you are snagged?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 am
dkkim

Ly's was selling Momoi 50lb leader when he was clearing out his inventory and I use it all the time for rockfishing. That line is tough and takes a beating.

I also use 50lb diamond braid momoi and its the best braid I've used.

I don't think I'd buy more momoi leader because of the cost, but maybe thats because I still have a ton of it leftover and I bought it cheap.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: