pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Lamiglas or St. Croix? (pair with a shimano cardiff 300a) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:38 pm
iCatch_uCook

Hi, everyone. Just bought a Cardiff 300, loaded it with 40lb pp slick and am now looking for a new, nice rod. I did a little research and it seams G. Loomis is mainly fly fishing, and always comes 2nd when it comes to saltwater.

Im going to be fishing the surf, and piers, using swimbaits, krocs and lcs (3/8th - 3 oz if those exist) looking for something around 7'11' - 9' 2 pieces, and about 100-250 price range. Id also like a good warranty that comes with it. I that St. Croix has that lifetime gold warranty for 50$-70$ is that true?

Thanks!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:23 pm
tackleholic

I dunno but ive always thought of Loomis as ok for fly but more for bass, inshore saltwater, and more recently trout. For that price range, a lot of rods fit the bill. I cant recommend a specific rod, but you might also want to check out phenix, powell, and im sure others will chime in. You can choose from a lot of different rods for $250. Id match a rod in that price range with a calcutta over the cardiff.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 am
iCatch_uCook

tackleholic wrote:
I dunno but ive always thought of Loomis as ok for fly but more for bass, inshore saltwater, and more recently trout. For that price range, a lot of rods fit the bill. I cant recommend a specific rod, but you might also want to check out phenix, powell, and im sure others will chime in. You can choose from a lot of different rods for $250. Id match a rod in that price range with a calcutta over the cardiff.

thanks for the tips, i was actually in the market for a calcutta until i saw the cardiff for 72.56 (with tax and shipping) and i decided to bite.

should i use it on a clarus, and just get a new setup with a calcutta?

oh, and anyone know how bass pro shop brand warranty works? i was told by someone who works there, that i see on a regular basis that its practically lifetime, since you dont need a receipt to trade it in for store credit toward a new rod.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:24 am
mav

That's a hard one... I personally like the Lamis for casting lures from the shore... I've never tried a St.Croix, though there's one that I don't own sitting int the garage. The Loomis seems, to me, more of what you are looking for because to the type of fishing you are going to do... Do you go to Bass Pro a lot? You should check out the rods there and see what you like...

I'd just fish what you got until you decide to buy more equipment...

The newer Cardiffs are very similar to the Calcutta Bs, just made Malaysia and less refined... I own a Cardiff 200a and my bro owns a 301 lefty.. They are very good reels... I also own a Calcutta 400 and a Corvalus 200. Here's the kicker though, The Calcutta Bs and Cardiffs share a similar drag, in that they have a single stack washer system.. The Corvalus drags are a triple stack system... So the Corvalus potentially can have the better drag system if upgraded... You also can upgrade other parts of the Corvalus if you can find the Shimano parts that fit from the other two round reels...
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm
tackleholic

mav wrote:
That's a hard one... I personally like the Lamis for casting lures from the shore... I've never tried a St.Croix, though there's one that I don't own sitting int the garage. The Loomis seems, to me, more of what you are looking for because to the type of fishing you are going to do... Do you go to Bass Pro a lot? You should check out the rods there and see what you like...

I'd just fish what you got until you decide to buy more equipment...

The newer Cardiffs are very similar to the Calcutta Bs, just made Malaysia and less refined... I own a Cardiff 200a and my bro owns a 301 lefty.. They are very good reels... I also own a Calcutta 400 and a Corvalus 200. Here's the kicker though, The Calcutta Bs and Cardiffs share a similar drag, in that they have a single stack washer system.. The Corvalus drags are a triple stack system... So the Corvalus potentially can have the better drag system if upgraded... You also can upgrade other parts of the Corvalus if you can find the Shimano parts that fit from the other two round reels...

Im not too familiar with the newest model cardiff....i just remember playing with an older model display cardiff when they first came out , and at that time they seemed more comparable to a corvalus than the calcutta...but this was a while back and all their models have improved. The Clarus seems like it would be a good match for the cardiff. If you get something really nice for the calcutta, get your clarus in a different line rating to increase your range of rods...either lighter or heavier. If you are going to be fishing lucky crafts with the calcutta, the rod can't be too heavy otherwise you'll have difficulty with casting. Something in the 8-20 lb rating would be ideal for lcs...but you may want something heavier for the swimbaits and crocs depending on the size lure you use. One,ore thing, even though the calcutta casts great...I like them only for slower moving lures like soft plastics or swimbaits. If you need a high speed retrieve on your lure...a higher retrieve ratio reel would be better...otherwise its just too much work if the fish are only hitting when your lure is being ripped back at a fast clip. You should definately go to a couple of different shops, pull on some rods, then decide after youve pulled on a few. If you are considering Loomis and St Croix, you should also check out Phenix...theyre really sweet.

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: