pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Pier Rod Recommendation [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 pm
Charlessyverson

I am going to be fishing Crystal and Oceanside piers the first week of April. Can somebody guide me on what I can catch during that time and the best rod for the situation? I would prefer a travel rod if possible. My initial thought is either a 7'6" Tidemaster in medium or medium heavy, or a 9 or 10' Triumph surf rod (which may be overkill, but would provide a possible dual purpose stick).

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 pm
mav

I don't know Crystal pier very well because of hard to find parking but try bringing various forms of bait like mussels and ghost shrimp. Oceanside I've caught halibut on live bait during that time of year.... You also can fish the rocky bottom close to the end with mussels and worms... You can get big sargo and croaker near the bait shop using mussels and ghost shrimp.. Pelagics can be inconsistent during that time of year...

Personally, for pier fishing, I'd prefer the shorter rod for control if a fish tries to run under and around the pilings. I think the medium heavy rod should be ok for what you are using it for..
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: