pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Striped Bass Tagging End-of-Season Report [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:08 pm
marty gingras

Hi all,

As part of DFG's on-going striped bass population study, we tagged adult striped bass in Knights Landing and in the Antioch area during April and May 2008.

We recently completed an end-of-season report on-topic. The report is the newest file at the ftp site below:

ftp://ftp.delta.dfg.ca.gov/Adult_Sturgeon_and_Striped_Bass/

This report is a simple accounting of the field work we did and it includes no analyses.

Analyses come later in the year after all the data has been entered into electronic databases, QCed, etc.

I hope you enjoy the report.

Thanks

Marty Gingras
Supervising Biologist (Fisheries)
California Department of Fish and Game
Bay Delta Region
4001 North Wilson Way
Stockton, California 95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
FAX (209) 946-6355
email mgingras@dfg.ca.gov
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:28 am
songslinger

zzz

Last edited by songslinger on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:56 am
marty gingras

songslinger wrote:
...In short, what is the point of the study? Wouldn't it have gleaned more useful data had it been conducted in the winter months when the bulk of stripers are upriver...

songslinger wrote:
...First question: why measure the fish in centimeters? I understand that this is more "scientific" yet the DFG regulations are NOT in metric...

Hi all,

The population study --- of which this tagging effort is one part --- originated in 1969 and has been on-going ever since. It has demonstrated its utility for monitoring changes in the status of the population.

The population study estimates adult striped bass abundance using mark-recapture calculations, relative abundance using catch-per-effort from tagging and from the CPFV fleet, annual harvest rate and survival rate, growth rate, and addresses migration.

None of those population metrics and behaviors are sensitive to the season when we capture striped bass for tagging. Changing the season when we tag striped bass would not help at all and might confound the interpretation of resulting population metrics.

There are actually fewer adult striped bass up the rivers during winter, so we would probably tag fewer of them if we tagged in winter. We want to tag as many fish as we can for the money.

We'll continue to collect the data in metric and report nets and such in inches (that's is how the manufacturer specifies the material), but for next year's field season report we'll probably convert fish-size to inches for easier interpretation relative to fishing regulations.

Thanks

Marty Gingras
Supervising Biologist (Fisheries)
California Department of Fish and Game
Bay Delta Region
4001 North Wilson Way
Stockton, California 95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
FAX (209) 946-6355
email mgingras@dfg.ca.gov
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:36 pm
Ken Jones

I called Marty on the issue of stripers going up river in the wintertime—since that's always been the Bible on their behavior. He said (and I hope I got this right) that fish three years and older start moving up river (some past Colusa) in February/March. Some spawing goes on in March, more goes on in April and May, and most of these fish have headed back down into the Bay or out into the ocean by June. The older they are the more likely they will head all the way out into the ocean. Many then come back into the Bay by the fall, many but not all. As to the winter months, Marty said they're spread out but it sounds like most are still in the Delta but not feeding much. Part of the stats are from the creel surveys and since they don't bite as well in the wintertime less are caught. They may be there but they aren't showing up in the numbers.

As for the younger fish, they tend to stay mostly in the Delta year round.

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: