pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> does anyone fish the big drop shot? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 am
johng

I do and I'm looking for a rod recommendation.
Something for drop shotting with 1 to 2 outs weights and the bigger baits.
Everything I've looked at so far seems to be real tip heavy.
Thanks
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 am
fourstringangler

I recently acquired a 7 foot shimano terez for this job. Works great, super light and casts a mile.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 pm
tunafshr93

The new Shimano teremars are really nice, give them a shot
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:16 pm
johng

fourstringangler wrote:
I recently acquired a 7 foot shimano terez for this job. Works great, super light and casts a mile.

Which Terez did you pick out? I'm thinking about an honest 15lb rig, are we on the same page here?
Super light is good, drop shotting a bigger rod can really wear a guy out.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:20 am
fourstringangler

The Terez I'm using is actually a boat spinning rod rated for 40 to 80 lb braid. Sounds ridiculous but it's actually very light. I use it with 50 lb braid. Drop-shotting with with 2 oz plus weights is gonna wear you out anyway though. I'm not sure exactly what you're doing; I'm fishing a jetty in big water for lings and rockcod. If you're fishing fresh water or something then we're probably on opposite pages. For drop-shot in general, I like heavy action, light weight rods.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm
johng

Same page. I'm scouring the ocean bottom for Halibut and the incidental catch. I have a lighter drop shot setup that I love however it just doesn't cut it when the water gets deep, or the current/wind come up. A one ounce weight is the max.

Last night I taped an ounce and a half to the butt end of my 7'6" 15-25lb rod and it balanced out really well.
I think I may be on to something. Sounds and feels heavy, but it fishes very light. Great for palming the round reel, it almost auto-fishes.

Heavy action, light weight rod, sounds about right, with the action not too fast. I think the super fast action is for the mono guy's. The drop shot with braid is awesome.

Happy fishing.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:57 am
tackleholic

Good question. My dropshot for up to an ounce is on a cabelas 8-20 lb, 10 ft rod and with braid and that length, it sends it flying and has good sensitivity. I think 10-25 sounds good. I would think something like a calstar grafighter 800xl might be a good choice. I have this older ( but not vintage ) lamiglass 9 ft blank that i will one day build...its a moderate-fast action rated 10-30. I bet it would be perfect for that 1-2 ounce range. I agree, if your fishing braid, a more moderate action and even an old vintage glass rod like a roddy, lamiglass, or whatever would be fine if the tip portion could handle the weight. It might even help to prevent rippin lips on the soft mouthed species like halibut, especially with braid.
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: