pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in



Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Shimano TLD [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:42 pm
sharkfishing_805


Posts: 216

Does anybody have experience with the shimano tld reels? Im thinking of getting the Shimano TLD-20 Reel,also can you cast far with these reels?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:18 pm
mav


Posts: 194

I have a smaller old beat TLD-10 that I sometimes fish with.. It works fine for me. I'd say the casting is average on mine with a 4oz weight but I don't know how it is on a bigger TLD-20... Lever drag reels tend to have heavier spools than star drag reels so casting lighter things may be more difficult due to "start up."

Don't tighten the drag adjustment knob too much or you may loose some free spool...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:46 am
seabass_seeker


Posts: 1839
Location: Clovis

They are very solid reels. Being lever drag will affect casting. It's no Daiwa Sealine.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:34 pm
sharkfishing_805


Posts: 216

seabass_seeker wrote:
They are very solid reels. Being lever drag will affect casting. It's no Daiwa Sealine.
i seen some guys in Venice pier, cast with the tld 20
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:59 pm
tackleholic


Posts: 798

I have a tld 20 2 speed that ive used on tuna trips. Its a decent reel but have never been able to cast very well with it...heavy spool with internal springs, bearings, etc. i know they cast better if you put a tiburon or willfish frame on them, degrease all the bearings, relube with some light viscosity oil,...i think Alan Tani even used to make a bearing sleeve for them that improved the casting...but at that point, you might as well get an avet HX which casts better right out of the box. I think if i needed to fish a reel that size and get casting distance, I'd opt for a Penn 4/0 star drag with a tiburon or accurate frame or a baja special. An older 4/0 with the black side plates and a slower gear ratio might even be betterif it you could fit an aluminum spool on it. They are dirt cheap now, used, and the low gear ratio is similar to the low ratio on a tld 20 without the high ratio. You probally dont even need the high ratio if its used from shore or pier with bait...its not like you need to crank a deep yoyo jig reely fast to get bit or need to reel up fast off the bottom because the captain wants to constantly reposition for a drift over a pinnacle. Anyways, just a thought.
_________________
Let em go and let em grow
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 am
red fish


Posts: 2550
Location: Berkeley Pier

sharkfishing_805 wrote:
Does anybody have experience with the shimano tld reels? Im thinking of getting the Shimano TLD-20 Reel,also can you cast far with these reels?
Pretty much, what has been stated by others thus far. I don't have experience with that exact reel, but similar reel in the Penn GLD series lever-drag.

Cast far with these reels?... well, if you use enough weight, you can get out far enough to get bit. With a reel like that, I am going to use 6 ounces+. Also, if you are going for distance with this reel, the assumption is you are going to use a 10-12 foot rod. In addition, adjusting the lever-drag tension will help with throwing different sized weights and adding more free-spool for casting or less depending on if the spool is spinning too fast when you release and causing backlash, or if the spool is not moving fast enough and decreasing distance. Again, loading the rod up properly on the cast with enough lead. The TLD used to be the "go to" lever-drag but Avet is taking their share of the market. The TLD-30 2-speed used to be one of my favorite reels in its size and price range. With bigger, heavier conventional reels and rods used for pier fishing to try to cast out with, it really depends on personal preference and what is your comfort zone for total weight for the rig. For example, a graphite reel like a large Newell in the 500 series is going to be considerably lighter than a Penn Senator 4/0 and easier to cast with in many ways, but again, it comes down to your casting style, and strength as to how the rig feels and is balanced to you.

_________________
Well, you lose one you rig one -Quint
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 pm
sharkfishing_805


Posts: 216

red fish wrote:
sharkfishing_805 wrote:
Does anybody have experience with the shimano tld reels? Im thinking of getting the Shimano TLD-20 Reel,also can you cast far with these reels?
Pretty much, what has been stated by others thus far. I don't have experience with that exact reel, but similar reel in the Penn GLD series lever-drag.

Cast far with these reels?... well, if you use enough weight, you can get out far enough to get bit. With a reel like that, I am going to use 6 ounces+. Also, if you are going for distance with this reel, the assumption is you are going to use a 10-12 foot rod. In addition, adjusting the lever-drag tension will help with throwing different sized weights and adding more free-spool for casting or less depending on if the spool is spinning too fast when you release and causing backlash, or if the spool is not moving fast enough and decreasing distance. Again, loading the rod up properly on the cast with enough lead. The TLD used to be the "go to" lever-drag but Avet is taking their share of the market. The TLD-30 2-speed used to be one of my favorite reels in its size and price range. With bigger, heavier conventional reels and rods used for pier fishing to try to cast out with, it really depends on personal preference and what is your comfort zone for total weight for the rig. For example, a graphite reel like a large Newell in the 500 series is going to be considerably lighter than a Penn Senator 4/0 and easier to cast with in many ways, but again, it comes down to your casting style, and strength as to how the rig feels and is balanced to you.
i might just get the senator, are they good in casting might get the 4/0 or 6/0
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:19 am
jcool


Posts: 62

sharkfishing_805 wrote:
Does anybody have experience with the shimano tld reels? Im thinking of getting the Shimano TLD-20 Reel,also can you cast far with these reels?


Tld are not good casting reels,really designed for trolling. The newer generation of lever drag reels like the daiwa saltist and avets were designed with casting in mind.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to: