pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Pan Fried Perch recipe: ALTON BROWN [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:38 pm
gretchdragon

After landing the first fat smelt yesterday, I phoned the husbeast and warned him to dig up his best smelt recipe. During cleaning we discovered the perch were in fine form, but the smelt had worm wounds on the internal organs and the husbeast balked at eating those. So we ended up cooking up the perch using the smelt recipe and OMG WAS IT AWESOME.

The recipe calls for "lightly browned" but we went for "darkly browned" to make sure any worms got turned into harmless protein. Smile I did the scaling and fileting of the perch, but left the skin on. This gave me an edge in thoroughly handling the filets to ensure there were no bones. Due to the high temperatures we also used canola oil rather than olive oil, butter, or peanut oil.

If you dribble fresh lemon juice on these right after sliding 'em on the pan.....NOM NOM NOM.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-fried-smelts-recipe/index.html
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 pm
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

Wellllll, i hope you saved the jacksmelt for bait at least. Funny thing about jacksmelt--so underrated. Jacksmelt the friendless fish has caught me a lot of stuff!

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:49 pm
gretchdragon

Oh yes, ALL the parts are saved to go back into the sea....with crab season on, I saved heads, tails, guts, skeletons AND the smelt in the freezer for bait for my next outing. Smile. The crabs will enjoy it if nothing else.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: