pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Think this'll work? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 am
gretchdragon

Friday morning I snapped the top two inches off the tip of my Okuma Blue Diamond pole. Sigh. While discussing this with another fisherman, he pointed out that my robot building background was probably more than sufficient to repair it myself.

Here's what we cooked up:
It's a hollow rod, so I can pick up a length of titanium welding rod in the appropriate dimension and tuck it inside the pole for added stability without sacrificing flexibility (ti is super flexy). Then I should be able to slather some epoxy on the break area ouside and get some stiff shrinktubing to cover the actual break.

Anyone tried this? Think it'll work?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 pm
mav

You can try it... I've repaired rods for people by inserting and gluing a piece of an old solid fiberglass blank into the broken rod blank... Then, covered the break... Same concept...
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:15 pm
CRASS

dont get me wrong.. im a penny pinching DIY maniac... but for a rod that retails between $40 & $70... id just buy a new rod. Also, the tip's action has alot to do with the action and performance of the rod.. and overstiffening it wouldnt make much sense to me. youd prolly lose performance & sensitivity.

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:20 pm
skrilla

I would think a solid titanium insert would work against the nature of a hollow composite blank. When a blank flexes it changes shape from round to oval. The titanium insert would hinder the blank from changing shape and probably cause further breakage.

An insert made of donor piece of blank like what mav has done can work, but only on certain portions of a blank and with certain blank materials. The tip section is very delicate and an insert job would be more hassle than it's worth even if done properly.

Give Okuma a call before you shell out for another rod or attempt a repair. They've got great customer service and can work something out with you about your broken rod. If you do decide to repair you're best best is to either glue on another tip and have the rod a couple inches shorter, or cut it off at the next guide and replace that with a tip. You'll have a stiffer rod but it's better than an unintentional 2 or 3 piece rod IMHO.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 pm
RobF

I've had okuma replace the end piece of the same rod twice. They will charge you $15 for shipping. So far I'm impressed with their service and not so pleased with the performance of their rods. It broke a third time, and I called it quits and went to a cheaper daiwa rod that has performed flawlessly.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:11 pm
gretchdragon

skrilla wrote:
I would think a solid titanium insert would work against the nature of a hollow composite blank. When a blank flexes it changes shape from round to oval. The titanium insert would hinder the blank from changing shape and probably cause further breakage.

AH! Fabulous explanation, and this makes total sense.

Plus, I looked up the price for a Blue Diamond and yes...they're pretty durn cheap. I will definitely give Okuma a ring and see what they say; this rod is only about two months old so I bet they can set something up.

THANKS for the feedback!!!! I knew running it past you guys would give better results than attempting to re-engineer it. Wink
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:20 pm
tackleholic

Let us know what Okuma says...i would think they would offer some kind of replacement for a 2 month old purchase. If they don't and are cheapskates, Id like to know personally as ive been thinking about purchasing a Makaira and I want to know how their customer service fares compared to other tackle companies in regard to honoring their manufacturers warranty.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:14 am
fourstringangler

I've only dealt with Okuma on warranty issues once and they are GREAT. I dropped a reel in the surf zone, totally filled with sand. Cleaned it out but the anti-reverse never recovered. Sent it to them and they replaced 4 parts no questions asked. I only paid shipping ($7.50). I've read a thousand similar stories online.
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: