pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Rod advice for Garcia Mitchell 300 Reel [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:47 pm
sweiss1964

I recently purchased a Garcia Mitchell 300 Reel and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for rods that would pair nicely with this reel. I really enjoyed fishing with this last week, but I didn't like the rod I was using it with.

Any suggestions from the experts on rods that I might find on the market that would make a good match?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:38 am
mav

sweiss1964 wrote:
I recently purchased a Garcia Mitchell 300 Reel and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for rods that would pair nicely with this reel. I really enjoyed fishing with this last week, but I didn't like the rod I was using it with.

Any suggestions from the experts on rods that I might find on the market that would make a good match?

Hi Steven.. I actually have 2 of those reels that I fish on occasion...

The answer to your question all depends on what type of fishing you are doing and matching the line test you are using to the rod... If you are fishing in a heavily wooded area or want the control in close quarters, you may want a shorter rod... If you want to cast further you may want a longer rod with a stiffer tip..

I like using a medium 6'6" rod with a line rating of maybe 4-12 or 6-15... I usually fish 8# or 10# on this reel with a glass rod.. Most of my rods are custom so I can't give an exact model number... I do think the old technology of the Ugly Stik with the clear glass tips and the graphite bottoms would match up good with the Mitchell 300... This was the type of combo I used to see people using when I was a kid and the Mitchell 300 was an old reel back then too..

I prefer 1 piece rods but this 2 piece might be a good Ugly Stik model to match with your reel... (SPL110066) I suggest you check one out personally to see if it has the perfect feel for you..
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: