Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Conventional Reel For Dummies? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:32 pm
seabass_seeker

COpierrat wrote:

Rob the disadvantage of using a spinning rod instead of a casting rod is that the spine is on the wrong side of the blank so you will not have near as much power and will run a much higher risk of snapping the rod under load.

Seen this happen. Never seen an Ugly Stick snap like that before. Be warned, don't use a spinning rod with conventional reel.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:33 am
gemaholic

Just wanted to add...
The Penn Squall lever drag does not have magnets - the Squall star drag does. (I found this out after I ordered a lever drag. Smile )

Susan

PS. I just joined the board. You all seem to be a good group and share great info. I'm looking forward to participating.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:43 pm
branrx

gemaholic wrote:
Just wanted to add...
The Penn Squall lever drag does not have magnets - the Squall star drag does. (I found this out after I ordered a lever drag. Smile )

Susan

PS. I just joined the board. You all seem to be a good group and share great info. I'm looking forward to participating.

My next conventional will be a star drag, with magnets hopefully. I can't stand the lever. Its not as smooth as it should be in my opinion. Not sure how they feel on other models though. The Squall lever is too stiff, making it awkward in a quick situation on setting the hook. Other than that its a good reel.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:17 pm
RobF

Well after several months of throwing a conventional for the first time, I can say that I'm not doing too bad. There have been some rough times where I wanted to stomp the reel into dust out on the rocks, but I calmed myself before doing so.

My last real revelation came when I had just replaced my line with sparkling new braid. Went out fishing and promptly lost about half of it to a mid-flight birdnest. It was maybe my second or third cast with new line. I was so frustrated! I had been doing so well.

But I began to think about what was different, and then I realized that the line was totally dry. Dry line is like dry "flyaway" hair. You need moisture on the line to help keep it wrapped on the reel firmly.

Since then, I've kept my line wet, and it's been flying off the reel nicely.

Rob
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:07 am
muttfishr

Thats just simply Amazing! Ya, Ya, I know, (Im a smartass) I just couldn't help it, be careful of blisters on yer control thumb too...mutt.
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 4 of 4  Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to: