pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Stingray Recipe [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:53 pm
edgarsi26

How do You prepare a Stingray?

I always want to learn how ,but I don't get a solid answer?

Anybody out there know HOW to cook a Stingray ?

2010 Stats
Stripers:0
Halibut:0(missed 1)
Smelt:101
Stingrays:2
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:36 pm
scooterfish

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb_archives.mv?SearchDatabase=0&viewid=334182
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:28 pm
bass_turd77

Ya, I've always wondered too. I'm with edgarsi26 on this; I've never gotten a straight answer. Nobody seems to want the things. And I don't think its out of sportsmanship or whatever.

Even the guys who keep everything, and I mean everything, throw them back. Has anyone on the board eaten them? Specific recipes? I understand palatability is subjective, but some feedback is much appreciated. I have seen them kept maybe twice, three times but when I asked the fishermen how they would prepare it, I was told they wanted "to try it", no recipe/method given.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:08 pm
iamfisherman

My parents ate one before when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember it pretty good cuase I was frighten about eating it and would not touch the darn thing. They really enjoyed it. I remember the ray was just cut into strips and deep fried with salt and pepper.

I can't get past the smell...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:13 pm
seabass_seeker

Batray or Round Stingray?

Batray can be very very good. My favorite was Thai Curry Style. Preparation is the key here. You have to bleed the ray soon after catching, take the wings and put em on ice. You can either fillet out the meat, or use scalding hot water to make skinning easier.

As for round stingray... I've never thought about trying one. I've had thornback... and they were pretty much a rubbery texture, bland in taste.

Look up recipes, I've heard of people BBQ'ing batrays also.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:07 pm
bass_turd77

Batrays specifically I guess.
I ate batray once, I must confess. I was fishing with my uncle some years ago and we got a ray. He wanted to try it; he must have heard stuff about the wings I guess. I don't think we bled it out, just took the wings. He made some kind of black bean sauce to serve with it; it was so long ago I don't remember the prep technique, except that it wasn't steaming. Stewing maybe? At any rate, what I do remember is that "Dow see sting ray" is among the nastiest stuff I've ever tasted. That experience has sort of scarred me in regards to ray edibility, but I'm curious as to what proper preparation would be like.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 pm
santa

BT77, send me a PM on this site or e-me @ mcats@sbceo.org with ur snail-mail addy and I'll send you the info you need.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 pm
chum_bucket

santa wrote:
BT77, send me a PM on this site or e-me @ mcats@sbceo.org with ur snail-mail addy and I'll send you the info you need.

me too? Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:08 pm
santa

Yup! Haven't heard anything from BT77, yet, but give me the info I ask for above and I'll get ya what ya need.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:44 am
chum_bucket

santa wrote:
Yup! Haven't heard anything from BT77, yet, but give me the info I ask for above and I'll get ya what ya need.

message sent!

thank you Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:44 pm
tonsofun

My coworker cooks his stingrays up in a stir fry and says its rally good
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm
santa

chum_bucket wrote:
santa wrote:

message sent!

thank you Smile

Yo, Chum, to what address did you send your contact info? Nothing has shown up on any of my addies.
P/M me on PFIC to Santa.
or mcats@sbceo.org

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: