pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Any good bonito recipes? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:14 pm
mav

I've tried them fried, smoked, raw, baked, adobo style and put into a sandwich... I've never tried them pickled (will try) but out of the ways I did try, I liked them raw... I think one of my main put offs is that, when over cooked, the meat is really tough... So, I'm thinking some sort of half cooked recipe but anything good will do...

Bonito is one of the fishes that I could never figure out how cook perfectly over fire, my culinary fish nemesis...

Thanks...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:39 pm
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

Did you ever try poaching or steamng?

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 pm
mav

I've tried it steamed but when I steam fish, it's usually fully cooked... I've never half steamed a fish before... What would you suggest for seasonings for both poached and steamed? It's the tough meat that gets me when I fully cook a bonito..
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:31 pm
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

Finely shredded ginger, a splash of soy sauce, a good squeeze of lemon juice or vinegar, shallots or scallions (thinly sliced, diagonally sliced, respectively).

do you have a bamboo steamer? b/c i think bamboo steamers lend an extra flavor, but that could be my imagination. if not bamboo, then stainless steel.

Bring your water in the bottom pot to a good, hard boil (pot is covered).

Meanwhile, line your steamer with a single layer of lettuce leaves. Lay your fish on the leaves (make sure your fish is at room temp, or at least not chilled from the fridge.) Scatter your ginger, shallots or scallions, spritz with soy sauce, lemon juice over the fish and place steamer over boiling water.

Cover immediately, TURN OFF THE HEAT and leave the pot on the burner, keep covered and don't peek! The thicker the fish, the longer you leave it over the hot water; if you are squeamish and don't think it will actually cook, then turn the heat down to low and keep the water at a soft simmer; check after 10 minutes and then 5 minute intervals thereafter--you are using the steam to cook, so don't go lifting the lid every few minutes.

It is done when it flakes with a fork.

And you are right, it's better to have the fish a tad undercooked than a tad overcooked.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:53 pm
Salvelinus

Maybe try something that incorporates searing the fish?
quickly cooking it on a really hot pan so just the outside is cooked
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:52 pm
mav

Thanks MsCMSchultz... I'll try that and let you know... I actually steam Large Mouth bass in a similar fashon and it's very good. I think bamboo steamers do give flavor in a similar way when you steam fish in banana leaves...

Salvelinus wrote:
Maybe try something that incorporates searing the fish?
quickly cooking it on a really hot pan so just the outside is cooked

I was thinking the same thing... I've done it with Yellowfin tuna but but again I don't know what seasonings would match the taste of the bonito meat... The Yellowfin tuna was great seared with just salt and pepper and a little butter but to me, the Yf tuna meat has more flavor than the bonito meat... Maybe, I'll experiment and try it the same as I did with the tuna... Or before I do that, I can soak the meat in some lite soy sauce with a few drops of sesame seed oil and a tiny amount of brown sugar... Sounds good... LOL
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:13 pm
tackleholic

Lately, i've been picking thru my freezer to get at the little portions of bluefin i have left buried here and there. It was really good sashimi quality when i caught a couple of years ago and it has been in remakably good condition when defrosted. Been making a quick marinade of soy sauce, some rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, mirin or a little sugar for sweetness, ground black pepper, chopped garlic....then let it marinade for about 15 minutes tops. Then spread some black pepper, liberal amounts of sesame seed on a plate and press the marinated pieces...more like chunks anout 3 x 4 ". Sear it on all sides...but keeping it rare in the middle..let it rest then slice and eat with a quality premium japanese white rice...fresh seasonal greens from the farmers market...dip it in ponzu with some sriiraycha for heat or just wasabi, soy, maybe a little mayo. Some cold shochu or good beer to wash it down. I think this would work really well with a nice bled bonita, thrown immediately on ice. Next time i catch one at least 3 lbs but bigger would be nicer, i'm going to try it. You would need a thicker fillet so you could sear all sides and still keep it raw or rare in the middle. If its sitting in a party boat gunny sack all day...wont even try it...shore or pier caught wold probally be best im thinkin.
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: