pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> New board [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:00 am
climberb9

How ever much I am glad taht we now have a place for off topic messages, I must say tha I am definitely NOT a fan of the "php bbs" layout that was used on the new board. The original board has a layout that I haven't seen anywhere else, but it has got to be my favorite. the only thing I do like a little better about the new board is you can see who is online. Just my two cents worth. Please, what ever you do- keep the original board as the only pier and surf board
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:40 pm
cayucosjack

I agree CB9!

That layout is so clean, pretty and very unintimidating to reply to posts or add your own. The layout of the new one might scare off some that don't get all the bells and whistles.

I'm stoked to have a forum to share other things with this community though. I'm a one board type of guy and don't use any others. All the people here make this site and I can't wait to really get to know them without all the constraints of the original board. Not to mention all the new fishing info that we all will be able to use. Even if I'm fishing from shore I want to know what is happening from boats and kayaks in the area. They can definitely mean something even though I understand why they are banned from the original.

Hope this works out, but I'd like to see the original remain the same.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:02 pm
jkim

Well I, for one, will not shed a tear when this upgrade is complete. I didn't like the old format at all. It was adequate say five years ago but I thought it was showing its age. No edit... no preview... good posts getting shoved to page 2 by "Attaboys" and "WTG's"... no private messaging... etc.

My only complaint... what took so long?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:23 pm
pescare

jkim wrote:
My only complaint... what took so long?

How 'bout time and money? There is no advertising flashing in your face every time you make a move here, and nobody asks for donations. This place is paid for by a small handful of people because they are kind enough to do it, and administered by a guy for basically no money as a favor while working around other obligations.

Appreciate what we've had these years rather than taking shots because it's not perfect. With 10,000 registered users it can't be all bad.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:51 pm
pescare

CB9 & CJ,
I really like the old one too, and can be pretty averse to change at times but I think there are some good reasons for the move. Administration will be much easier for Rich since this is a commercial piece of SW, and some of the features will make using it easier for all.

The design is just as sharp - and kudos to Rich for his eye for simplistic beauty - and the bells and whistles are only there for those that want them. We can still just click a button and type in a box. And hey - Spell Check makes it a huge win even if you don't like anything else!

I think we'll get used to it and start enjoying it quickly.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:08 pm
jph

climberb9 wrote:
I must say tha I am definitely NOT a fan of the "php bbs" layout that was used on the new board.

i like the upgrade Smile
and allthough i'm not a fan of phpbbs (for various other reasons), i won't complain about it. this is u HUGE leap forward to the "old" message board.

everybody is probaby used to somekind of forum software like vbulletin, or postnuke (or some other) and all of them have their pros and cons. but when you compare it to what we had (have) it's all pros and no cons.

but that's just my $0.02
J.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:44 pm
ob pier rat

pescare wrote:

Appreciate what we've had these years rather than taking shots because it's not perfect. With 10,000 registered users it can't be all bad.

Agreed. I prefer the old board because of the freshness of it, new reports and posts are always at the top. Reports are clearly marked in red. I think most of the time posts stick around on the front page long enough, for me anyway. Unless the board has a "controversial" day hehe...To each his own though, I see a place for this format too. Perfect for OT pic swapping and such. I personally don't like it though. I sure hope the "completion of the upgrade" as stated by jkim above doesn't mean the old format is going away.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:45 pm
jkim

pescare wrote:
How 'bout time and money? There is no advertising flashing in your face every time you make a move here, and nobody asks for donations. This place is paid for by a small handful of people because they are kind enough to do it, and administered by a guy for basically no money as a favor while working around other obligations.

Relax. My comment wasn't meant to be a potshot. Everybody has their preferences and I was only stating mine. I never said this site was "all bad". Sheesh. I just happen to think upgrading the software to be a good thing and overdue, that's all.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:40 am
minnowmagnet

I like that old board you know witch ones are reports,
there is a serch box, and what about the event organizer.

I sight fish for stripers off my roof Very Happy
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:50 am
pescare

Minnow, we can still mark posts as reports by checking a box like on the old board. A red flag is displayed next to the topic to indicate it is a report. There is a link to the search feature at the top of the page under the banner. I've played with it and it is pretty flashy. Rich will likely include the links that we use on the old board somewhere. He'll make the transition as painless as possible, I'm sure. Right now it's all about making this thing work smoothly, then the extras will be added.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: