pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Catch & Release [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:05 pm
Wdn. Bowers

I am one of the the Wardens for Alameda County.

Recently, there has been dialogue concerning the taking of fish (Striped Bass, Sturgeon, etc). To set the record straight, the following is an excerpt from and "Outdoor California Q&A" article. It specifically addresses trout, however, Striped Bass and Sturgeon are included by definition.

Catch and release fishing for fish is not allowed once the bag limit is filled. The primary reason for this is because to “… pursue, catch, capture or kill fish … or attempting to do so” is still defined as “take” (ref. Section 1.80). Also, there is no assurance that any returned fish will survive for the long-term following release, and this translates to over harvest. (ref. Section 7.00).

The only way for an angler to continue fishing at this point is if they change location, tactics, bait and/or gear to clearly target other species, such as bass or crappie (or halibut or perch). After doing all of this, if any fish are accidentally caught but then immediately released, there should be no violation.

I hope this is useful for all the anglers and enthusiasts who frequent this board and our shoreline.

Respectfully,
Warden Bowers
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:10 pm
Wdn. Bowers

My apologies to Gyozadude. I just read farther down and saw he already posted the article (yesterday). Thanks Gyozadude for sharing the information.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Ken Jones

Thanks for the post, we're always looking for expert advice.
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: