pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Harbor island rocks [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:14 pm
pinfish

When I first got to San diego a few days ago from a road trip, i still had daylight and time to go fishing before the end of the day. There were a handful of fishermen out there throwing yellow or white grubs on a ball head jig, trying to catch some bass.

I noticed that the kelp was not as thick as previous years but they were stil out there, even 50 yards out. So I tried a texas rigged 5" xoom plastic with a forked tail. My hook didn't have a weight on it but that and the duolock was enough to let the bait slowly but surely drift down.

On my first cast I got a grab that took off the entire piece of plastic. I could not find the fish again. I moved to another spot down the road, and on the first cast (only 15 feet out), I got a yank and pulled in a fiesty little sand bass. 11". released.

I visited this spot 5 more times in the next few days and there were alot of other guys but we all were skunked. Same at Spanish Landing.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:49 am
Ken Jones

There's always the possibility of a shortfin corvina hitting a plastic in that area.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:54 am
pinfish

Yes I was hoping they would show up at Shelter Island pier and rocks. I was there too at sunset and into the evening, throwing all sorts of lures including topwater. There was a few schools of bait in the area but no predators.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: