pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Late report for 6-01-08 Los Alamitos Jetty Long Beach [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:14 pm
sheldon

I had hit Cabrillo with my son the day before (Saturday) and got 2 small halibut, while the son got skunked.

Got off of work the next morning, Sunday, and after looking at the tide charts saw I could leave straight from work and get there a couple hours before the high tide....what better reason to go fishing right? I fished the southern jetty with my usual assortment of 3" Big Hammer swimbaits with 3/8 oz leadheads and 10lb Spider Wire Fusion loaded on my Daiwa Triforce baitcaster. I got just a couple short bites until about 3/4 of the way out on the jetty inside the channel. I get hammered on a (#103) brown sugar colored Big Hammer swimbait. It felt bigger than the usual small 'butts I've been catching and was only about 5' out when I hooked up. As it came to the surface it looked like a legal halibut to me and here I was traveling light without a net. I spotted a good landing spot low to the water and positioned myself there as I tired out the fish. It made a few runs and I made the grab.....23"!!!! It was fun to catch a legal....first of the year for me and I was there less than an hour!!

[/img]
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:35 pm
kelpangler

WTG man, there are some big halis to be had in Cabrillo. A 45"+ was pulled out of there recently (not shore tho).
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:33 pm
sheldon

I haven't gone out on the jetty at Cabrillo, but we did throw the LC for about an hour on the surf there....man that water was COLD. I finally got numbed up enough to wade out to waist deep water but didn't get anything. I switched to the plastics and got the 2 small halibut off the pier. Saw a huge lobster cruising around the shallows in front of the pier and then crawl under it.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:53 pm
gordo grande

Welcome to the board, Sheldon. Thanks for the report.

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: