pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Looking for easy ideas on food to bring fishing [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 am
MaverickRed

I usually order a few things off the dollar menu at Jack In The Box, but I recently lost my job, so I'm trying to cut costs wherever I can. What do you guys bring to eat when you go fishing?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 am
Salty Nick v2

Peanuts and cashews, dried mangoes - mainly 'cause they're compact, dense and fulfill my hunger. Maybe not the most economical though. Used to bring energy / granola bars. And of course, water - have a metal bottle that I fill each time I go. I like to travel light.

I've seen 'some people' bring practically a whole mobile kitchen out there while rock-fishing (I won't name names) - everything but the kitchen sink. Gotta say, was real nice to have hot food out there on the rocks though.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 am
The Orion

When we go fishing we cook food the night before. Everyone usually gets a Tupperware container with a bed of rice, fried or scrabled eggs and spam for corned beef. Yes it's horrible for your arteries but it's my favorite thing to eat while soaking crab snatchers, haha.
I think chicken of the sea makes these wonderful all-in-one packages with tuna salad, crackers and mint. My family loves those.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 am
IRPescador

I usually bring a PB&J sandwich, banana/apple and water, but most anything packable will do...Homemade burritos are great too! Smile
Surprisingly, I do not eat much while fishing, but once I'm done, I can eat a horse!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 pm
Jun Dimagmaliw

Salty Nick v2 wrote:
Peanuts and cashews, dried mangoes - mainly 'cause they're compact, dense and fulfill my hunger. Maybe not the most economical though. Used to bring energy / granola bars. And of course, water - have a metal bottle that I fill each time I go. I like to travel light.

I've seen 'some people' bring practically a whole mobile kitchen out there while rock-fishing (I won't name names) - everything but the kitchen sink. Gotta say, was real nice to have hot food out there on the rocks though.

Salty.

Confused Hmmn. All I know is that I am happy when I am fishing and eating. I can concentrate better when I am not hungry.

Don't make me list my fishing food repertoire here!!! Wink

Jun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:55 pm
spline9

Learn how to make these.

Onigiri (Japanese rice balls). No need for the seaweed but if you want, you can either put something in the middle. Proteins are best: egg, meat(spam, bbq, chicken), fish(bbqd mackerel, sardines, etc). Bring some soy sauce if you want.
You can also sprinkle some seasoning (Furikake or just sesame seeds) on it and youre good to go.

Theres no real rules. Its just a wad of rice and maybe a filler and/or seasoning. Easy and DAMN CHEAP.

Oh, furikake is really good if you can get it. You may be able to find it in the ethnic section of a grocery store. It comes in jars like this:

Usually you wont have many to choose from but if you go to a Japanese or Korean market, you may find a lot of options. I usually prefer the kind that have bonito flakes in it. Umami!

mmm!

[/img][/list]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:05 pm
surfsamurai

Jun Dimagmaliw wrote:
Salty Nick v2 wrote:

Salty.

Confused Hmmn. All I know is that I am happy when I am fishing and eating. I can concentrate better when I am not hungry.

Don't make me list my fishing food repertoire here!!! Wink

Jun

All I know is I eat better than Iron Chef competition while rockfishing with Jun... and its menu changes daily. It's Omakase time!

Prior to Jun's table fare on the rocks, I used to bring a protein powder/bars, banana (no, it's myth... trust me), PB&J (with a natural peanut butter) and $1 trail mix nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:13 pm
csmerril

Sunflower seeds and a gatorade is all I need
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 pm
surfsamurai

The Orion wrote:
When we go fishing we cook food the night before. Everyone usually gets a Tupperware container with a bed of rice, fried or scrabled eggs and spam for corned beef. Yes it's horrible for your arteries but it's my favorite thing to eat while soaking crab snatchers, haha.
I think chicken of the sea makes these wonderful all-in-one packages with tuna salad, crackers and mint. My family loves those.

What's you talkin' about, Willis? It's my people's yummy diet from the islands... and I have a fat ... to prove it! Mmmmm.... SPAM.... makes me happy!

Here's a special one for you, Orion since you like eggs too!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:27 pm
muttfishr

Dude, you can spend money, or just raid the fridge, food is food, all depends in what yer after, comfort or hunger, a 12pk, a bunch of jerky, a bag of hootys peanuts, and yer good to go! get in the fridge, break out the pintos and tortillas-n-make yerself some tacos, wrap'em in tinfoil and you can heat'em on the intake manifold while yer drivin from one spot to another, get a broad shouldered friend to carry the essentials and I'll cook ya a gormet meal w/all the fixins, or just a sandwitch and a candy bar and a canteen of water, its all good, just don't (whatever you do) let the guy yer fishin with bring better stuff than you do! you'll never live it down!!!...mutt.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:40 pm
Salty Nick v2

Spline9, the onigiri reminds me of when I used to go trout fishing with my grandpa - grandma would make a nice bento box of onigiri and teriyaki chicken.
SS, I love spam musubis - great invention! I know spam isn't good for you, but it sure is tasty.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 pm
surfsamurai

Salty Nick v2 wrote:
Spline9, the onigiri reminds me of when I used to go trout fishing with my grandpa - grandma would make a nice bento box of onigiri and teriyaki chicken.
SS, I love spam musubis - great invention! I know spam isn't good for you, but it sure is tasty.

Salty.

Whatcha talkin bout, Willis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm
MisterWoodstream

I usually go to the 99 cent store and get a bag of thin n crispy chips and a soda.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:54 pm
pinfish

a banana. 100+ calories and good for you
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:38 pm
The Orion

[quote="surfsamurai] Here's a special one for you, Orion since you like eggs too!

[/quote]

Braaahhh! thats how my uncle makes it haha!

Spam musubi is freaken BOMB to take fishing!
You should try saba shioyaki musubi! So good... in my mouth...

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 3  Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: