pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Drake's Beach [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:14 am
mattyk04

Anyone ever fished the surf at Drake's Beach (near Point Reyes)? I tried last October with frozen shrimp and had no luck, wondering if that area has some shore-based prospects. Thanks.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:45 am
songslinger

zzz

Last edited by songslinger on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:53 pm
fishmom

I believe that Limantour Spit will remain open. That would be just south of the opening to the Estero. There is a different access road, branching off the road to the Point itself, but Songslinger's info applies here too.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:43 am
mattyk04

Thanks for this excellent info. I am sorry to hear that it will be closing to fishing, one of my dad's favorite stories is about catching a cabezon in the tidal lagoon that runs across and behind the beach back in the 70's. I dont live in California anymore but make it a point to try and get out there whenever I am home visiting.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:28 am
JEZ

The Good:

Drake's Beach is one of the few south-facing beaches, so when the surf is impossible to fish elsewhere it can still be fishable, especially for fly fishermen. There is a spot towards the west end of the beach that could be really good for barred and calico surf perch.

The Bad:

It's going to be closed to all fishing, as noted.

The Ugly:

There is a colony of elephant seals that has established itself at the west end of the beach. Every year they have extended their haulout area farther and farther east, so that trying to access the spot mentioned above runs the risk of close encounters with the seals. While I've never been attacked by one of these monsters, I've been snorted at, which is all it takes to exceed my comfort level. Consequently, I've pretty much written off Drake's Beach as a destination, on the presupposition that the seals are eventually going to take over the whole beach, MLPA or no MLPA. Sticking to the seal-free east end of the beach should be fine until the closure goes into effect. I hope that helps!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: