pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Marshall, Tomales Bay, 6-1-08 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:43 am
rock hopper

Shady conditions kept me and the yak off the water for the rockfish opener, so I decided to hit Tomales for some sharays.

Billy and I got there at about 11:00AM and fished the top of the tide and the start of the outgoing. The wind was howling the whole time, but it wasn't too cold. About 20 minutes into it I get a little bounce on my pole and swing hard. I feel some resistance, but no fight, and up comes a pretty big thornback ray. Good catch since Billy has never seen one. A few minutes later Billy's rod shows the slightest bit of movement that differs from what the wind is doing. I'm surprised Billy even saw it. He swings for the fences, but his pole only goes up about half way and line starts ripping off of his reel. He buttoned down the drag and cupped his spool, but there was no stopping this ray. At one point it almost pulled him off of the rock he was standing on. With just a few wraps of line left on his reel and his spool burning his palm he finally got enough pressure on it to snap his leader and get his line back. After that I landed a 20lb class ray that put up a great fight for its small size. Then Billy hooks up again and lands a really nice 60-70lb class ray fairly easily. Made us both wonder how big the first ray had to be considering he couldn't even turn that one. We each landed one more medium sized ray and called it a trip just after 2:00PM.

We both fished one pole each and bait was half sardines. No sharks, but the rays were fun. It's been awhile since I've hunted sharays...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:33 am
eelmaster

I drove by there on Saturday with the family. We went to the light house. I was SO sad that I couldn't pull over and fish. Did you see Nick's cove? I walked ou the the end of the pier. They had sign that they were selliung live bait. Anchovies, ghost shrimp, and sand crabs the sign said.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:31 am
piemel

Sorry but can you expand on the live bait part? It would be awesome if there is a spot near Tomales to get live anchovies. Where is the place you mentioned?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:43 am
eelmaster

piemel wrote:
Sorry but can you expand on the live bait part? It would be awesome if there is a spot near Tomales to get live anchovies. Where is the place you mentioned?

Nick's Cove. It's famous. It was an old restaraunt next to the miller park pier that's been closed down for like a thousand years. whatever. They just fixed it up. It's got houses on the water, rooms across the street, a place to eat, the whole nine. forget about it! It has a pier on the north side of the restarant. at the end of the pier it had a little sign that said "live bait: anchovies, ghost shrimp, sand crabs." But no one was there. Seeing as it was a saturday, it's summer, and few halibut are being taken in the bay, it should have been open.
The next closest place for live bait would be the Petaluma dive shop. It's about 30 minutes from the bay.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: