pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Butt Recipes [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:24 am
jgy

I'm not sure how to get back to the old boards, but I was looking for a quick and easy way to cook a 'but filet.

I hear you can steam it then pour HOT peanut oil and soy sauce over it with green onion. Sounds good and I might try that tonight. Anyway, anyone else have a quick, easy way to cook up some 'but filets?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:33 am
jettyjockey

Simple tasty recipe:

Season lightly with Lawry's seasoning salt on both sides of the fillets.

Then, panfry some shallots or cut onions for 3 minutes in Olive oil and butter. Then push aside the shallots or onions in the pan then,

add the halibut fillets, panfry till lightly brown on both sides.

Finish off in the oven for 10 minutes 300-325 degrees.

Add a little drip of fresh lemons on top...and you're good to go.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:22 pm
Ken Jones

Not so easy but sounds good—

HALIBUT WITH CHAMPAGNE RISOTO (Recipe)

Posted by fatzmalone (Posts: 117) on Dec-5-06 8:39am
(In reply to: How about a hali recipe? posted by toejamb on Dec-4-06 4:06pm)

HALIBUT WITH CHAMPAGNE RISOTO

WINE SUGGESTION: Pinot Grigio, Fume Blanc or Chardonnay.

Ingredients & Preparation:

(RISOTTO)

1 cup Italian, Carnaroli rice
3 to 4 Tablespoons butter
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade
1 to 2 teaspoons of heavy cream
2 to 3 tablespoons of Champagne

Simmer vegetable stock slowly in a large saucepan or soup pan. In a large cast iron skillet or large non-stick skillet, heat butter to medium low. Add the onions, and cover while stirring occasionally until soft and translucent. Remove to a separate bowl.
Add the 3 Tablespoons of olive oil to the same pan for 30 seconds, then and then add the Carnaroli rice. Toss with rice a few times to coat it well with oil. Add the onions back into the pan, and let mixture reduce.
Add a ladle or two of the barely simmering stock and stir a little, making sure that the risotto is completely covered. Simmer over low heat until the liquid is absorbed.
Add more stock and simmer until the risotto reaches a creamy consistency.

(MANGO-PAPAYA RELISH)

1 fresh papaya, diced
1 fresh mango, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1⁄2 red onion, finely diced
1⁄2 to 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 teaspoon each, fresh orange and lime juice
Combine ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

(HALIBUT)

While risotto is in the final stages of reduction, take 1 to 1⁄2 pounds of fresh halibut fillet and cut into 4 to 6 equal pieces. Season slightly, if desired.
Warm an oven-safe pan to high heat, and add about a Tablespoon of olive oil. Quickly sear fillets on each side until lightly crusty …but do NOT over cook. Finish in a preheated, 450-degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes.

Plate the finished risotto; top it with an even layer of the mango-papaya relish. Place halibut fillet atop stack, and crown with a bit more relish if desired. Garnish with grilled asparagus.

ENJOY!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:23 pm
Ken Jones

Or—

Posted by bcooney

Macadamia Crusted halibut with coconut curry

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lb fresh halibut cut into 4 filets
7 oz roasted macadamia nuts
2 tbl flour plus
1/2 cup flour for dredging fish
1 x egg beaten with 2tbl water
1/3 tsp cayenne
4 tbl butter (clarified butter is necessary if cooking large quantities)
1 can coconut milk - (14 oz)
1 tbl peanut oil
1 tbl Taste of Thai Red Curry Paste (start with less, then taste to adjust - it is hot!)
1/2 cup Major Grey Chutney large chunks
chipped fine
1 x fresh mango peeled, seeded,
and diced small
2 tbl finely-sliced fresh cilantro (to 3 tbspns)
Method :
* Combine nuts and 2 tablespoons flour in food processor, pulsing so as not to overchop and become sticky. Beat cayenne into egg with a fork. Dredge filet first in flour, then egg, then nuts - pressing nuts onto fish. Refrigerate breaded fish while starting sauce.
* Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in a heavy saucepan. Add curry paste and cook one minute, whisking. Add coconut milk and chutney, bring to a boil. Boil lightly till milk is reduced to 1/2 its original volume or to desired thickness. Turn heat off and cover to keep warm.
* Melt butter in large saute pan over medium heat. Add halibut till deep golden brown, turn to brown other side. If filets are very thick, place in 400 degree oven for 8 minutes after browning to finish cooking.
* Just before fish is done, add chopped mango and cilantro to sauce. Serve sauce over fish sprinkled with a little more cilantro for color interest and perhaps a whole cilantro leaf.
Serve with Jasmine Rice.
* This recipe yields 4 servings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:24 pm
Ken Jones

Simplest recipe—

Posted by giflet

I have always enjoyed my fresh caught flatties fried, I have baked them, steamed them and even thrown them on an open flame, but always go back to frying.

1/4 inch of veg oil in frying pan
1 filet of flattie with skin
basted in melted butter and salt/pepper mixture
fine chopped garlic sprinkled on top
1/2 lemon squeezed over top
fine chopped celantro
cook until flaky and flip once
with fork remove skin from bottom side
serve with steamed vegies and sticky rice
squeeze of lemon
it doesn’t get any better than that ( for me that is )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:25 pm
Ken Jones

Alabama style—

Posted by alabama

I like to cut the fillets to one half to three quarter inch slabs, dip them in milk, shake off excess and then put them in a Zataran's fish fry mix to which I have added some corn meal, salt, lemon, pepper and usually a lil cajun spice. I heat cooker to 275 degrees and drop them in a couple at a time. When they start swimmin good I take them out. Don't wait till they totally float...too late. Fryin fish is a GOOD EXCUSE TO MAKE HUSH PUPPIES!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:26 pm
Ken Jones

Scooter's Stuffed Flatfish—

Posted by scooterfish)

Pocketed, stuffed and baked! Flounder and other smaller flatfishes 12-20 inches long are excellent for this method, and it's pretty easy to prepare once you get it..

Scooter's Stuffed Flatfish
Remove the innards as normal, but leave the fish whole. Scale the top of the fish (bottom optional). Make a narrow "V" cut down the length of the spine from the gillplate (beginning of the fillet) up to the skinny meat of the tail. Starting at the beginning of the filet, slice very carefully underneath the filets towards the outer edge of the fish, forming a deep "pocket" on each side. Be careful to keep the knife underneath the filet, this takes some practice. I like to slice right up to the outer edge as close as possible to make a bigger pocket, but you don't want to puncture the skin if possible. If you are "all pro" with a filet knife, I suppose you can forego the "V" cut if you don't need it to accomplish the pocketing (makes it easier for me to wield the knife).
OK... now you have pockets on the left and right sides of your fish... STUFF EM!! pack those pockets full of the following stuffing, or similar stuffing (even turkey stuffing works well! Wink.... Drizzle a little olive oil on top, some cajun spices and throw some lemon or lime slices down the center and bake for 30-35 minutes @350f on a greased baking pan... serve immediately. My favorite presentation is to make a single, whole flounder for each guest.
PS... I can also imagine this done on a slightly grander scale with a just-legal halibut as well...

Generic Crabmeat Stuffing, modify as you please!
Yield - about 4 Cups
Ingredients
1 CUP EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
1 LARGE YELLOW ONION (Chopped)
3 STALKS CELERY (Chopped)
1 TBSP FRESH GARLIC (Minced)
1/2 CUP DRY WHITE WINE
1/2 TSP WHITE PEPPER
1/2 TSP GROUND CAYENNE PEPPER
1 TSP LEMON PEPPER SEASONING
1 TSP WHOLE THYME LEAVES
1 TSP WHOLE OREGANO LEAVES
1 LB CRAB CLAW MEAT
2 CUPS SEASONED BREAD CRUMBS
1 TBSP LEMON JUICE
3 LARGE EGGS (Beaten)
1/4 BUNCH FRESH PARSLEY (Chopped)
3/4 CUP GRATED ROMANO CHEESE

Method
In a large skillet and over medium heat add olive oil, onions and celery; sauté until onions turn clear (about 5- 7 minutes). Add garlic, wine and all of the seasonings, simmer until the sauce reduces by one third.
Remove from heat, gently fold in the crabmeat and remaining ingredients; stuffing should be used immediately or refrigerated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Ken Jones

Tempura Halibut—

Posted by pkjoe

Beer Batter Tempura

Lightly season halibut with salt and pepper. Make tempura mix using some beer in place of some water. Dredge halibut chunks in tempura powder, then dip into tempura batter and drop into hot oil. Make sure that water and beer is ice cold when mixing with tempura mix. You can even add ice cubes. Cold batter makes it more crispy.
Serve with tempura dipping sauce, rice, and salad. YUM!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Ken Jones

Posted by fatzmalone

Recipe for Almond Crusted Halibut (Best Ever!)

I had this the other night & it was the BOMB!!!!!!!
I had to share the recipe.
Also remember to: "Never Trust A Skinny Cook"

Fatzmalone...
Ingredients:
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup heavy cream
10 tablespoons unsalted butter - chilled, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
6 (6 ounce) fillets halibut
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
2/3 cup minced blanched almonds
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions:
1. Make beurre blanc: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine wine, vinegar, shallots, thyme and bay leaf. Boil until liquid has evaporated. Stir in cream, and boil until liquid is reduced by half; decrease heat to low. Whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time, adding each new piece before previous one has melted completely. Do not allow sauce to simmer, or it may separate.
2. Strain sauce through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl. Stir in chives, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Keep warm by setting bowl in a larger container of hot water.
3. Preheat oven on broiler setting. Pat fillets dry, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute halibut fillets for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned, and just cooked through. Transfer to a baking sheet, and cool 5 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together bread crumbs, almonds and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Brush tops of fillets with egg, and spread with almond mixture.
5. Broil fillets 1 to 2 minutes, or until browned (watch closely - every broiler has its own personality!). Place fillets on individual plates, and spoon beurre blanc around it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 pm
norcalrod

Freeze it for 2-3 days. Thaw it out, slice thinly and serve with your best sashimi sauces...
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: