pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Baked Striped Bass [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:15 am
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

By now you all know that Slowriprun is a crazy successful hunter of stripers. What you don't know is that he is also generous.

He dropped off a beautiful, hefty striper. Yeah, I know, I should have taken a pic, but I didn't. What a lesson that was for me, first time cleaning a big fish (hubby did all the others).

I scoured the internet looking a for recipe and didn't like any of them, so devised my own:

Take a walk and glean sprigs of rosemary from your neighbors. Go to the farmer's market and buy an untrimmed bunch of celery with the leaves. When you get home, preheat oven to 425 (I thought that was too hot, but it wasn't), trim off the top of the celery below the leaves, keep leaves attached to the stalk.

Line a roasting pan with the celery leaves, rosemary branches and tiny whole onions.

Brush olive oil on both side of striper, rub fish inside and out with cut garlic cloves (you can add the garlic to the pan if you want). Insert some rosemary branches, whole onions and celery leaves inside the striper. Lay fish in lined pan, cover with more celery leaves and rosemary and roast, uncovered, for 45 minutes (I thought that would be too long, but it wasn't).

Discard all the greens.

Serve with fresh lemon wedges at the table.

And THANK YOU, SLOWRIPRUN!

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:43 pm
tranbaby2

If you don't intend to eat the skin, i suggest not putting any oil at all on it. When it bakes, the skin will dry out and seal in all the moisture in the flesh. Once cooked, all you have to do is peel the skin off and have at the moist flaky meat.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:22 pm
igorkl

I bake fish on 425 degrees too, but I keep it for 20-30 minutes (I used mayo instead of olive oil).

I like to put fish into brine like you do for smoking 6-24 hours before cooking. Also you can put circles of onion on it prevents sticking to pan and gives nice aroma.

The meat is very juicy and testy.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 am
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

igorkl wrote:
I bake fish on 425 degrees too, but I keep it for 20-30 minutes (I used mayo instead of olive oil).

I like to put fish into brine like you do for smoking 6-24 hours before cooking. Also you can put circles of onion on it prevents sticking to pan and gives nice aroma.

The meat is very juicy and testy.

Great idea re brining. ima try that.

I baked some fresh, gutted, whole herring in oven at 400 degrees, which I thought was going to be too hot, but it came out fabulous! (8-10 minutes).

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:54 pm
bigunindaboat

Always remove the skin and the dark red meat under it, the red meat is where the toxins are stored and its a really bad tasting fishy part of the meat.
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: