pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Knuckleheads & chowderheads at Goleta Pier today— [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:50 pm
Ken Jones

I talked to Boyd and he said it was an interesting day at the pier today, especially when massive bait balls of anchovies appeared next to the pier. Within an hour the numbers at the pier went from about twenty to over sixty. Aren't cell phones just grand?

Scenes: (1) A thirty-five-year-old (or so) mother and her teenage daughter decide to jump off the pier near the hoist while making sure they held on to their forty-ounce malt liquor. Life guards finally got them out. (2) Kayakers are going back and fourth under the pier and through the fishing lines. Unhappy anglers on the pier. (3) Two small private skiffs decide to troll up and down the pier about twenty feet out from the pier. Anglers weren't happy. (4) Two divers emerge from the depths and climb up the steps by the hoist. They're carrying a bucket full of 4-6 inch perch that they managed to harpoon. They walk back to the shoreline in their wet suits amidst catcalls from the rats. Just another day in Paradise.

Last edited by Ken Jones on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:30 pm
dompfa ben

I witnessed a similar day of human detritus in action...I'll post later on the off-topic board. Sad.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:14 pm
Kawtnuffin

The end of the pier had an OK crowd from 1530-1900, although the cluelessness factor was very high -- lots of roundhouse casting w/o opening the bail, that sort of thing. Also, I have never understood why one should stand on a mackerel to unhook it.

The macks were sporadic on the incoming tide, meaning you could get about 15/hr flylining, but with a fair bit of time to look around. Mostly small, 8-10" range. A few jack mackerel and large jacksmelt came up from down in the pilings. Cool SE breeze and murky water with a little too much loose salad, but a decent day to be out.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:25 am
pierhead

re: mother and daughter

They ended up their evening in a bar in Goleta where the mother had smuggled the 14 year old daughter onto the patio area and was sharing her drinks with her.

She refused the bartendress's multiple requests to leave and was subsequently arrested and taken to jail. The daughter presumbably ended up in juvenile hall.

Hopefully she will now get some help to cope with her mother's abyssmal parenting skills.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:47 pm
riorust

I hope she (the daughter) gets the direction which has been obviously lacking. Its too bad the mother had to wreck a family to do it.

Way too much fun in the Sun.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: