pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in



Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Late BP report 05-18-08 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:55 pm
phishinpat


Posts: 293

Fished BP this past Sunday for one short for myself and one keeper for my buddy. This was his third time fishing BP and so far has gotten two keepers for his last two trips. It was quite slow, not too many keeper fish being caught or landed.

I'm not sure what's going on with the bait situation, but this year the bait tends to die really quick. For the past three trips we lost about half our choves by the time we found a fishing spot. It wasn't like this a few years ago.

Anyone see the seabass this past sunday near the front of the pier? Caught on a 5ft uglystick and small trout sized reel with 40 lb braid.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:33 pm
Buzzcatcher


Posts: 567

I think the key to keeping your fish alive is space.. If the bait guy givs u two scoops, try putting it in two seperate containers rather then piling it all up in one. I did that today and had very few died.... That also includes frequent water change and proper aeration...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 am
jgy


Posts: 515
Location: East Bay

Buzzcatcher wrote:
I think the key to keeping your fish alive is space.. If the bait guy givs u two scoops, try putting it in two seperate containers rather then piling it all up in one. I did that today and had very few died.... That also includes frequent water change and proper aeration...


True. Also, once you get on the pier, change 2/3 of the water out REALLY QUICKLY! don't wait until you get to your spot if it's far away.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:30 am
salty nick


Posts: 1111

Nice to see a report from you - good to hear you got some action. Seabass from BP, that's awesome - on a trout pole even!

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:47 am
red fish


Posts: 2557
Location: Berkeley Pier

phishinpat wrote:
Fished BP this past Sunday for one short for myself and one keeper for my buddy. This was his third time fishing BP and so far has gotten two keepers for his last two trips. It was quite slow, not too many keeper fish being caught or landed.

I'm not sure what's going on with the bait situation, but this year the bait tends to die really quick. For the past three trips we lost about half our choves by the time we found a fishing spot. It wasn't like this a few years ago.

Anyone see the seabass this past sunday near the front of the pier? Caught on a 5ft uglystick and small trout sized reel with 40 lb braid.
Yo, good to know you are still around and in the house Pat...this place still has hope..and roots too. Heard about the WSB from the old marine (Kenny). Didn't know it was near the front, and/or the actual size of it? That crew at the beginning with the trout poles and the live anchovies have been slaughtering the fish this season (getting some good catches that is). Gotta start using my trout rod instead of all those fancy little round bait-casters Smile
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:17 am
dkkim


Posts: 970

red fish wrote:
phishinpat wrote:
Fished BP this past Sunday for one short for myself and one keeper for my buddy. This was his third time fishing BP and so far has gotten two keepers for his last two trips. It was quite slow, not too many keeper fish being caught or landed.

I'm not sure what's going on with the bait situation, but this year the bait tends to die really quick. For the past three trips we lost about half our choves by the time we found a fishing spot. It wasn't like this a few years ago.

Anyone see the seabass this past sunday near the front of the pier? Caught on a 5ft uglystick and small trout sized reel with 40 lb braid.
Yo, good to know you are still around and in the house Pat...this place still has hope..and roots too. Heard about the WSB from the old marine (Kenny). Didn't know it was near the front, and/or the actual size of it? That crew at the beginning with the trout poles and the live anchovies have been slaughtering the fish this season (getting some good catches that is). Gotta start using my trout rod instead of all those fancy little round bait-casters Smile


What up Pat. I heard about the WSB too. The bait at Berkeley just sucks this year. SF lasted much longer and more lively than berkeley. Anyone have any thoughts on why? Pens suck, warmer water, etc?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:55 am
jgy


Posts: 515
Location: East Bay

dkkim wrote:
red fish wrote:
phishinpat wrote:
Fished BP this past Sunday for one short for myself and one keeper for my buddy. This was his third time fishing BP and so far has gotten two keepers for his last two trips. It was quite slow, not too many keeper fish being caught or landed.

I'm not sure what's going on with the bait situation, but this year the bait tends to die really quick. For the past three trips we lost about half our choves by the time we found a fishing spot. It wasn't like this a few years ago.

Anyone see the seabass this past sunday near the front of the pier? Caught on a 5ft uglystick and small trout sized reel with 40 lb braid.
Yo, good to know you are still around and in the house Pat...this place still has hope..and roots too. Heard about the WSB from the old marine (Kenny). Didn't know it was near the front, and/or the actual size of it? That crew at the beginning with the trout poles and the live anchovies have been slaughtering the fish this season (getting some good catches that is). Gotta start using my trout rod instead of all those fancy little round bait-casters Smile


What up Pat. I heard about the WSB too. The bait at Berkeley just sucks this year. SF lasted much longer and more lively than berkeley. Anyone have any thoughts on why? Pens suck, warmer water, etc?


Other than the first time, I haven't really had a problem with the bait at Berkeley (besides the bait guy being a ****). Just make sure you don't stress them out too much and change their water frequently and you'll be fine.

Yesterday I was able to keep about 90% alive and kicking from 6 AM - 6:30 PM.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to: