pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Chart House 5/24 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:11 am
kelpangler

Quick report... Chilly, but a good number still showed up. Squid was the winning bait. We had good company and good food, including a couple homemade snacks from Del (baklava) and Santa (ray jerky).

First-timer Del draws first blood with a shovelnose

Frank pulls in a weird one... Needlefish on his 5/0-lookin hook

Minutes after Ross arrives he beats the skunk, drawing evil eyes from Hashem!

Last edited by kelpangler on Sun May 25, 2008 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:43 am
Mahigeer

I arrived at the beach around 2PM. Santa and his lovely wife was already there. After hauling all the stuff that I had brought to my designated spot, I set up one 15' rod with bait on my tripod (first picture by Kelpangle), and started throwing sardine swim bait with the second rod. The closest I got to a halibut, was the bite marks on the body and actually missing tail on the swim bait.

Santa and I were the only ones that were fishing for a while and around 5PM more people started to show up.
Del was first to get any fish. Later other guys hooked up with mostly Thornbacks(TB).
Nutty fish had a serious fight with his 15' rod with a fish size of a #2 pencil! That's him in the red cap. Now that's an angler who can detect the bite of a mosquito!

Since I was the host I could not pay much attention to my rigs, so I missed a lots of thornback bite. I did not care for one anyway.
Then later this "old man" shows up and sets up a 4' rod next to me and sits on his chair holding the rod and in 15 min. pulls a TB. Of course I could not stop myself from giving him some "choice" words.
Later he hooks more and starts rubbing it in.

The only fish of the night for me was of course a TB on my last pull around 12:30AM, where I was reeling in to pack up.

The water color never looked good and too much kelp was in the water. Del gets the prize for most kelp pulled out of the water.

The possibility of rain kept many people who had RSVP'd away, and the fishing was not great, but the renewed friendship over Bat Ray jerky by Santa and home made baklava by Del and cookies by the Fishinghat over a cup of coffee was worth the effort.

By the way in the last picture of Kelpangler, I was trying to direct my head light for the "old man" so he can remove a hook from a TB. and it looks like I am mad at him. I was not mad just attentive!

Thank you all who came and it was my loss that other members could not make it.
Maybe next time.

Eugene-- I found the edit icon! Thanks for the great pictures.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:34 pm
gordo grande

Minutes after Ross arrives he beats the skunk, drawing evil eyes from Hashem!
[/quote]

I think he was thinking "This meshuginah.... I'm going to keeeel him!!!!!"

I wouldn't have blamed him, since I really was rubbing it in. Smile

I had a great time, considering I got there very late and only had two hours to fish. Thanks again for putting this one together. Everything was perfect (except for the bite), and next time I'm definitely bringing the trailer.

Great to see all of you!

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:37 pm
nuttyfish

Good times. Let's do it again real soon!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:15 pm
riorust

It was great to see so many good friends and meet a few new ones. The fishing was not too bad considering the red tide. I trust a good time was had by all.

Many thanks to Hasheem for putting the show together. Mr. and Mrs. Claus have to get kuddos for driving 3 hours for so- so fishing and bat ray jerky delivery (taste great and I still think it could double a a bait in a pinch). Dell's baklava was awesome, the cookies made folks smile and as usual Hasheem's coffee took the chill out of the evening.

I'm going to make every effort to be sure I can make Gordo's central CA. GTG. I'm sure the effort and planning will be worth it. If Santa and Mrs. Santa can drive to Malibu for a get together, I can do the same for a central CA. GTG. It would great to meet some of the my NOR CA brethren.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:32 pm
kelpangler

So here's the uncropped photo, haha. Just messin' with ya Hashem. Smile

Really nice to meet everyone again... Thanks Frank for sharing your spot!

Talked to the wife today and we might be making the trip up to the central coast since her cousin lives in Santa Maria. Hope it works out!

08-05-24_charthouse12.jpg
 Description:
Gordo's thornback
 Filesize:  33.29 KB
 Viewed:  10598 Time(s)

08-05-24_charthouse12.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:37 pm
mel

Wow, how can you guys fish with shorts and just one jacket on at night time? Brrrrr! Nice pics though. Looks like a fun time!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:39 pm
santa

Great day spent fishing with a great bunch of friends eating great food. Which is a good thing, 'cuz after 10 hrs of fishing,(2:00pm-midnight) all I caught was skunks (which also made Gordo Grande happy, since he sat down between me and Hashem and started pullin em in). The Riorust was just to my right and was also pulling them in (we both used the same setups & bait and threw into the same spots) go figure! Thanks Hashem for doing a great job of setting this up. Super pics Eugene. The Mrs.(Teddybear) and I look forward to the next one.

This is the Teddybear.
Hashem, Thank You for the hot coffee. It really helped keep me warm.
Del, Baklava was delicious.
Ross, Thank you and Leslie for your hospitality, breakfast and coffee was great.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:12 pm
gordo grande

mel wrote:
Wow, how can you guys fish with shorts and just one jacket on at night time? Brrrrr! Nice pics though. Looks like a fun time!

I think I was the only one wearing shorts. I thought about getting out my extra-tuff boots and jeans, but hey, it's the principle of the thing! This is Southern California, right?

Turns out I really wasn't cold at all, since I did have on a sweatshirt and jacket.

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:14 pm
gordo grande

santa wrote:

This is the Teddybear.
Hashem, Thank You for the hot coffee. It really helped keep me warm.
Del, Baklava was delicious.
Ross, Thank you and Leslie for your hospitality, breakfast and coffee was great.

I think we need more posts from the Teddybear! Smile

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:16 am
cappo5150

I had a good time out there even though I got skunked. Great to see all you guys. Cant wait for the next one.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 am
red fish

Sweet fishin' guys. As, like Mel mentioned, nice to be able to wear shorts at night on a white-sandy beach and sling out a surf-rod! Next time for me maybe, and on a non-holiday weekend. I don't suppose they were getting any thresher 100+ yards out w/ Rhyno and the yak-attack pulling magnum Rapalas... I am assured the economy will be *better* this time next year in 2009 Wink I had to settle for Clear Lake State Park camping and some LM-blackbass M' lady caught on mini-crawlers..as I told the one dude that gave her a WTG-on her fish catch: "salt-water for me!" Knew I should have bought the jumbo-minnows Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 am
Mahigeer

I forgot to mention in my previous post that we had a dolphin show as an entertainment. There was even a baby which was doing jumps. Some of the dolphins would come real close to the beach.

As to the shorts, I had them on all day till I decided to switch to waders, so I could help with landing big fish or kelp. It was mostly kelp.
Later in the evening, we saw something in water that we could not make out. I tried to cast to it but it was not interested.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:12 pm
santa

Hashem arriving in shorts at about 2:00 pm.

PICT0054.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.41 KB
 Viewed:  10521 Time(s)

PICT0054.JPG

Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:48 pm
santa

Redfish: Contact me with ur E-addr @ mcats@sbceo.org or see ur PM on this board.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: