pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> SoCal Interview for MLPA [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 am
kelpangler

Anyone seen this yet? From another site... "A group called Ecotrust in partnership with the U.S. Geological Survey will collect, compile, and analyze information pertaining to recreational fisheries along the south coast of California. The want to find out what socioeconomic effect the MLPA closures will have."

http://www.ecotrust.org/mlpa/interview_signup
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:44 am
eelmaster

Yes. I was interviewed for the norcal closures. It's basically just a tool that is being used to initially ease your fears. Your input WILL NOT MATTER. However, if you care to participate it goes something like this:
2 sepereate phone calls. One to get you info to see whether you fit into the geography of where the closure is taking place. Then another to set up an appointment. Next they will come by a designated spot (they came to my office) and will ask you a series of questions about you fishing habits. They will then pull up a map on their lap top and say
"pretend you have 100 pennies that you could place in designated areas that you would like to be exept from the MLPA." Basically you put 10 here, 5 there, 60 over here etc....
The interviewer I had was a nice guy. Couldn't have been over 22 years old, but nice. The software sucked. It kept crashing. but yeah, that's about it.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 am
songslinger

zzz

Last edited by songslinger on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:30 am
kelpangler

Interesting, so they're just a middleman? Are they an official group for the state and are there others collecting data for the MLPA to which we can contribute?
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm
Mahigeer

I went to the meeting and will report on it later.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:49 pm
Ken Jones

Ecotrust is an organization hired by the MLPA to provide data on the impact of possible MPAs. The main complaint we had with the data was that it was never really used to give meaningful information on the recreational side of the equation. Most of the information that was provided showed the affect the various MPAs would have on the commercial boats in the different ports. Thus if a port showed a rockfish catch of $100,000 and that area would be closed by a MPPA then there was a projected loss to the commercial boats in that area of $100,000. The Stakeholders tried to keep loss of incomes (jobs) at a minimum wherever possible.

We tried time after time to bring in the onshore affect to local businesses when an area such as Sonoma County and Mendocino County see a loss of abalone areas, bottom fishing areas and salmon areas. That data, which I felt was meaningful, was never presented since it "wasn't available."

Ecotrust isn't a bad organization, and in fact they have asked for comments, but as used in our region the data presented just wasn't that valuable for many of us.

And, when you interview 30-40 people and use that data to represent several thousand people, there is considerable room for error and misuse. It certainly is a stretch to then use that data and say that see, we interviewed inshore anglers to get their views. I initially thought there was value in the interviews but I'm not so certain at this point.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:48 pm
songslinger

zzz

Last edited by songslinger on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 pm
Ken Jones

Don't know!
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: