pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Crab recipes? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:10 pm
peteyfishin

So I been eating crabs for 6 days straight now (piggin I know)and I wanted to know from you PFIC, whats your favorite ways to cook crab. I tried the salt and pepper crabs (thanks Tranbaby), garlic butter crabs and sauteed vietnamese style crab. I'm thinking of sharkmans crab cakes or a cioppino or even a curry crab recipe I seen on youtube...any other ideas? Thanks in advance
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:02 pm
MsCMSchultz

Grilled crab sandwiches: (These will work better if you have an old school cast iron pan [e.g., griswold], or, in the alternative, one of those 50's era waffle iron/sandwich grills.)

Flake your leftover crab meat (I like the chest portion best for these sandwiches)into a bowl. Add finely minced celery and onion, a pinch of dill, squeeze the juice of a meyer lemon into the bowl, add just enough mayonnaise to sort of hold it together (for pete's sake, not too much), place on a slice of sturdy sourdough bread, top with some shredded cheddar cheese, cover with another slice of bread. Melt butter in a frying pan, grill over medium to low heat till done to liking, and flip. Or, just grill dry--that works too.

Continental Style Crab Cocktail: As an alternative to store bought cocktail sauce, start with a 1/2 cup of ketchup, and 2 tblspns ground horseradish, with a dash of each of the following: worcestshire sauce, hot sauce (e.g, Texas Pete) and lemon juice; adjust according to taste and/or color. Chill. Mix with shelled crab and serve in lettuce cups, or serve as a dip for cracked crab.

Hot Crab Dip: Save 1/2 cup of the water in which you boiled the crabs. Heat the 1/2 cup of crab broth (can do that in the microwave--don't want it to boil, just hot). Set the broth aside.

On medium heat, melt 3 TBLSPNS butter in a small, heavy bottomed saucepan. Saute 1/2 small finely chopped onion in the butter. Add 2 TBLSPNS flour to butter and onion and KEEP STIRRING CONSTANTLY until flour, onion and butter are smooth and browned (we are sort of making a white sauce, but we aren't calling it that cuz it freaks out too many people). When it is hot and bubbly, add the hot crab broth and KEEP STIRRING until smooth and thickened.(If you have a wire whisk, use that for stirring--if not, wooden spoon is fine.) Add your leftover crab (about 8 ounces is good), stir and now would prolly be a good time to turn down the heat to low--heat just until crab is heated through, Scatter some chopped herbs (e.g., parsley, dill, green onion) over it. Use as dip for bread, crackers, veggies, etc. Can also be used as a topping for pasta.

Crab Loaf: Take your favorite unsliced loaf of french bread and split it horizontally, but leave a "hinge." Remove some of the crumb from top and bottom (to create room for the filling). Slather one side with cocktail sauce or melted butter with garlic--or both--pile the other side with the crab preparation as for the grilled crab sandwich, place on cookie tray and bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven until browned and heated through. Or close, wrap in foil and bake in oven for 20 minutes.

(sorry, can't cite to any specific recipe source b/c I used these recipes for years for all sorts of seafood and as far as measurements, they are mere suggestions.)

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:22 pm
peteyfishin

Thank you!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: