pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Shark Fin Trade Banned [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 am
ucscrab

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/07/shark-fin-trade-banned-california_n_1000906.html

Trading or selling shark fins in California is now banned. However, consumption of shark meat is still legal.

What are your thoughts?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:50 pm
seabass_seeker

Definitely a big step. I was surprised to see that chinatown had shark fins for sale in the pharmacies, one of which looked like it could have come from a basking shark (size anyways). I don't think it's appropriate to play the race card here. I'm sorry that there are those who won't be able to as easily enjoy their tradition, but when it impacts a whole ecosystem I think we humans need to rethink our position.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:29 am
CRASS

Yuuuup. Im completely behind having finning banned worldwide. im not one of those touchy feely, love all animal types, either. Its just a disgusting practice.

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:19 am
illcatchanything2

CRASS wrote:
Yuuuup. Im completely behind having finning banned worldwide. im not one of those touchy feely, love all animal types, either. Its just a disgusting practice.

I agree. If you want the fin, eat the rest of the shark as well. Killing any animal for just 1 part of it is a waste of game & a horrible practice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:06 am
thefrood

illcatchanything2 wrote:
CRASS wrote:

I agree. If you want the fin, eat the rest of the shark as well. Killing any animal for just 1 part of it is a waste of game & a horrible practice.

The really sad thing about the finning trade is that so many justify this, even educated people, because they honestly believe that the shark's fins grow back!

*** Finally getting back out on the water! Now to find more places where Sharpie is welcome too!

www.lonepieman.com
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:44 pm
tackleholic

Yeah, hate the whole finning industry as well. Its been banned, but according to an article i read months back, the restaurants and shops will be able to sell their remaining stock or supply of fins, so theres a bit of a loophole that im sure some will exploit. Im sure sale of sharkfin soup in california will go on for years under the table...anytime anything becomes illegal and there is a demand, a black market develops, so there needs to be an effort to raise awareness about the practice to curb demand in the first place. Found this video last years on netflix... Shark Waters. I highly recommend all to netflix and watch it.
http://www.sharkwater.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:14 pm
ucscrab

they have a year to sell remaining stocks
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: