pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> EPIC Alaska Fishing Trip aka Fish Market -- LOTS of PICTURES [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:48 pm
tokyo_tad

FishinDude2010 and a few friends have been planning our Alaska trip for a while. We finally did it this year and boy what a trip it was. I'm not going to bore you guys with a lot of stories and will let pics explain most of it(just tooo many stories to tell). It was an EPIC fishing trip.

Our fishing guide up in Alaska is pretty much a buddy of ours so fishing with him was just ridiculously awesome. Basically, whatever we wanted to catch that day, he would put us on the spot. Although, not much to it in Alaska since the fishing pressure is near zero where we were at. We were fishing areas where no sport or commercial fishing had ever been done. We were some of very first people to ever fish some of these locations.

We first got into Anchorage and did the tourist stuff. Then onto a Penn Air flight (only game in town) out to a place in the boonies called King Salmon in this twin turbo prop plane.

Now onto the next single prop plane to get out to a place called Chignik which is even further out into the boonies. The wind was pretty scary with slight drops but the scariest was... the co-pilot just eating his sandwich, drinking his soda, and the pilot READING A NEWSPAPER!! haha that's how they do it up there I guess.

We landed on a runway which was really just a gravel runway which was a bit freaky especially with the stall indicator buzzing like crazy as we landed.

As you can see, no one around for miles and miles... Our lodge was on this coast. Had running hot water, a generator for electricity, and nice bedrooms.

First real catches of the trip were roughly 100+ pacific cod in 1~2 hours. We used metal jigs but we couldn't even hit the bottom before we got a cod on the hook. It was just non-stop action of simultaneous hook ups for everyone on the boat. Our guide and the cooks filleted up all our catches near the lodge.

One of our buddies landed a 170+lbs halibut. FishinDude had a 200+lb halibut on his line but it bent the hook and got away.

Here's my measily 100lb halibut Smile

Petting my 100lb halibut. Notice the 170+lb halibut on the ground. Both had fillets that were 8+ inches thick.

Total hali count for that day was 9 (one short of limit because we were busy fishing for blackies)

Deck full of ling cod snapping at our feet. We limited out (12 total) on lingcod in less than 30 mins. It was RIDICULOUS!

We limited out on black rockfish in less than 30 mins too

Fish locker full of fish. Notice how clean the deck is.

Deck full of pacific cod that we kept getting while trolling for salmon. We started piling fish on the deck cause the fish locker was already full of fish!!

Notice the halibut in there. Our buddy caught an 80lb halibut on a salmon rod setup. When he hooked it, we all were wondering what's taking him so long to reel up a salmon (he kept complaining it was super heavy hahaha)

Aftermath... bloody deck. Literally had blood EVERYWHERE from bleeding out fish on the deck

We also put out some crab pots. It was a pain to pull up but man, it was filled FULL of tanner crabs. Tasted GREAT too!

Crab and salmon anyone?

FishinDude caught a salmon on a flyrod setup when we went up the river.

King Salmon that was hooked up in the river. Had to catch and release in the rivers but at that point, we had way too much fish.

Another salmon that we accidentally hooked. The river was just FULL of them. You could literally scoop your hands in the river and pick one up (I actually did that). All these were catch and release.

I tried uploading some pics of a fox, bear, and a bald eagle but seemed to have trouble but I figure, all of you folks are here to see pictures of fish Smile

That's basically it. After 2 hard days of fishing, we had already caught over 700lbs of fish so the last day, we just did a catch and release up in the rivers. We each brought back 2 50lb boxes of fish EACH which were frozen/vacuum sealed (guides took care of it all). We had to leave a lot of fish behind. Between the 5 of us, we brought back 500lbs of filleted fish!!

The trip was just AWESOME and I'm already thinking of going back next year. One thing is for sure, this Alaska trip has spoiled me to fishing anywhere else. If anyone wants info on our fishing trip, PM me and I'll pass the info along.

tad_alaksa_days_catch.jpg
 Description:
I love this photo. This is only one day's worth of catches! We call this the Fish Market Photo.
 Filesize:  77.18 KB
 Viewed:  5763 Time(s)

tad_alaksa_days_catch.jpg

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:00 pm
The Orion

WOWWEEE!!! thats an amazing trip!

I think most interesting to me were the tanner crabs. By the time we get them in the lower 49, theyre frozen, watered-down, cooked, then frozen again and they taste so bland! From personal experience with dungies, I know crab that is caught that day, cooked and eaten that day is far superior to grocery store crab. I'd like to get into some FRESH Alaskan crab one time!

Haha, with lightning fast action for the bottom fishing, I would have brought out my ultra light gear to bring them in! 8lb blackie on a trout pole, 20lb lingcod on a bass pole! that would be amazing!

great job tad! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:24 pm
itsakeeper

So stoked for you bro. Thanks for sharing your amazing with us all Tad.

itsakeeper
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm
pinoyfisherman

OMG they are literally EVERYWHERE huh? Nice trip and story hope to get up there one day Razz....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 pm
dsch2251

I just dont know what to say. Maybe I have to go to Alaska. That is just unbelievable to me.
First of all congrats on the big 100 Hali! Wow. I look forward to you telling me about the fight.
Next, boat full of Lings?! How hard we work for those from the rocks!!!
Next, a quick limit of football size blackies?!! Sigh.
Okay, by the time I got to the salmon and crab I was dizzy and about to pass out. That is my favorite table fare, for sure!
I dont know what to say!
I am soooo happy for you, and so jealous at the same time!!!
Congrats!, I look forward to the stories.
BTW, It looks like you got that last Sockeye on a sabiki!!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:47 pm
Sofa King

HOLY MOLY!!! I know what I want to do someday. Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:33 pm
piemel

those pac cod are taking up too much valuable space Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:47 pm
surfsamurai

So I was at work or being out of town for the weekend... and these are the Epic fishing trip I missed out... I was REALLY supposed to go this year... SIGH... Sad Keith sent me these pictures to torture me... NO, I DID ASKED FOR IT. WOAHHHH!!!!

Enuff said...

Tad's infectious smile or grunt...

Nice fly rod... Keith hooked up (snagged) an abalone once while rock fishing with me last year... Now, that's a skill... loved the color...

Whuz the king now?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:21 pm
fishindude2010

Smoking the salmon now... =) mmmm.....
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 am
thefrood

Okay guys, so when is the fish feast BBQ and dinner party happening? Smile

Thanks for the info Tad! It really looks like you all had just a simply amazing trip! Really reawakens my dreams of going up north!

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:16 am
mel

Epic is right! Nice haul Tad and crew!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:24 am
Salty Nick v2

Holy ****! That is totally insane fishing! Awesome trip and the pics tell it all.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:58 pm
Ken Jones

Mike 415 has objected that we are not following our site rules by allowing these pictures to be posted -- since some faces are removed. And of course he is right.

I didn't delete them initially because I thought some people would enjoy seeing the fish but of course when you don't follow the rules you open yourself up for criticism (and perhaps that's why the faces were blotted out in the first place). I'll leave them up tonight and then remove the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:13 pm
Ken Jones

BTW, Tad said he could change the pics that didn't meet the guidelines and I told him if he did the post was OK.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:17 pm
piemel

This site is getting ridiculous. It's like a government bureau gone nutso over the years applying rules that don't make sense for no clear reason.

Common sense is missing
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: