pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Benicia Salmon [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:35 pm
pinfish

Yesterday casted for Salmon all day at both 1st Street shoreline and State Park alternating 2-3 hours at a time, also alternating baitcaster on my left arm and spinning on my right. No catch. I did see one Salmon caught at 1st street and one Salmon at the State Park. both about 15lbs.

Today I fished 2 hours lunch then 2 more hours for nothing again. But once again one guy next to me hooked up with a 16lb salmon. Nice fish.

Those salmon are strong. I have only been living in the Benicia/Glen cove area for a year but I've lived here 16 years ago and seen people fish here. This year is the first time I'm trying for them. Two of the fish caught were relatively close to shore and they were unceremoniously horsed in. Rather effective. The other was hooked further away and man, that fish has alot of energy. Once it got close to being netted, it escaped and pulled out line 30 yards. A striper would normally get exhausted by that time.

Today the winds were manageable, it was a bit warmer, and the fellow fishermen were friendly. The Benicia bait and tackle shop shack people are also very nice. They taught me how to use the bottle trick to unsnag myself

I know about the snags and deftly avoid them but sometimes if you do not focus you will get snagged. Or after a miscast or backlash. Usually you need to retrieve your cast at a medium pace and gradually raise your rod tip as it approaches the shore. its the opposite method of guys on boats who cast towarads the shore.

Its still relatively slow if you consider the amount of fish per fishermen out there now. usually 12-50 people these days and will get more crowded.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:56 pm
songslinger

Good account. Perfect point made about the number of people fishing and the number of fish caught. Probably saved people some time, too. It's early yet. The kings that have come in have shot straight to the Carquinez. (Pun intended.) They seem feistier when they have not tarried in the bays. The water is pretty nasty nearshore from ocean to strait. Maybe they'll come in when the tides push a pathway through all this gunk.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:51 pm
stripesidechaser

My dad always said the salmon were 4 times stronger than striper, and after catching some large fish of each species on light tackle, I'm rather inclined to agree with him!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:35 pm
pinfish

So no foreplay in the forebay? Hehe. Do they just swim all the way to the lovenest nonstop?

I saw 3 sex-starved fish caught today midday @ 1st street, during the incoming and outgoing tide. 2 were kinda small, probably barely legal. The third was big, probably 15lbs at least.

The weather was still and hot, the water was green and brown(sediment) and flowing. Like the color of P-line! At least 30 guys there. This is my last day fishing for salmon for a few weeks as I'll go to San Diego again. So its a heads up to you guys. shh!
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:38 am
mr. pole pack

Salmon don't beeline to the spawning area. During their run you can find them lost in all kinds of marinas, creeks, and other diversions all along the way. Usually locals know when fish are trapped. For example, old town Suisun City has a large waterfront park at the end of a slough. Salmon will school in there and circle for days. Locals toss spinners every day until they're gone. I've seen some of the fish hooked there and some look like they've been run over by the love bug. Way overdue to spawn and physically unable to continue to Sac, I assume they just die there.
Also, horsing in Salmon is the way to go. You don't want to play a fish when you're using barbless hooks. Constant pressure is the key.

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: