pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Anyone ever install the carbontex drags on a Penn500 Jigster [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:06 pm
XengineSlug

So, my dads old Penn 500, lost its drag capabilities, so I decided to take it and install the new drag set from the drag site, which slips my head, as I think the fumes from the epoxy I was using has done a once over on me.

Question #1: Have you done this mod?

#2 Was it worthwhile?

Free reel, so I just want some feed back on others experience with this rebuild.

Did the Abu C3 rebuild, and I must say the carbontex drags are super smooth, and leave me with much more drag than I need, with 15# test mono.

Thanks.

PS-I've been building a small Flat bottom garvey for the last few weeks, not been fishing much up here lately, although I hear the perch are coming back in Humboldt bay, will hit the power plant up tomorrow while my resin cures.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:39 pm
red fish

Check this link for information on drag-washers for the Jigmaster 500. I figured Alan Tani would have chimed in by now, but perhaps he hasn't seen it yet? Anyway, I believe he told me that he prefers to use the HT-100 drags for Penns and not the carbontex (I think that is what he stated in one seminar). I forget what the reasoning was behind this? But, I imagine that carbontex drag washers could be utilized if they have the same inside and outside diameter as the old ones. A list of sizes are included on the link compliments of Alan as well as a contact email for questions. If anyone has experimented with carbontex drags on Penns, Alan would be one of them. http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb_archives.mv?SearchDatabase=0&viewid=230039
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 pm
2d

aren't the HT-100's made for this reel (and other penn reels)? makes sense to use the ones that are made specifically for the reel. pretty much similar construction as well.
I've put both HT's and carbontex in my abu and not seen any difference (except in price).
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 am
alantani

stick with the ht's. they work just fine and are half to a third the price. the real advantage of carbontex is the fine weave and thinness. thick ht-100 washers will not fit in many of the fancier japanese reel. alan

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:56 pm
XengineSlug

So, I already picked up the carbontex drag washers, drag is real smooth, but is not as strong as I had hoped, also looks like my old plastic, or maybe even bakelite as I ve heard it called is a bit warped, as it can rotate about half way then snags up, followed by more force on the handle then it moves again about half way around again.

Kinda, upset I bought the expensive drag washers, and more so now, not knowing if its the spool that's warped or the frame that's warped.

Question#1: Ho do I tell if it's the spool or the frame, when I spin the spool there is not noticable wobble, and as you probably know very hard to eyeball thee frame.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:00 pm
dsrtegl

Where are you located Slug? I do a little reel repair myself and I might be able to help you out a bit. I am assuming that you followed the schematics and that everything is properly assembled with the nut on the left sideplate not overtightened.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:41 am
XengineSlug

When the tensioner is loose it is pretty smooth, but still catches a bit, when it moves right toward the handle side of the reel, how loose should it be?

Should the tension spring be visible?

I'm located in Eureka.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:22 pm
dsrtegl

XengineSlug wrote:
When the tensioner is loose it is pretty smooth, but still catches a bit, when it moves right toward the handle side of the reel, how loose should it be?

Should the tension spring be visible?

I'm located in Eureka.

Thanks.

Won't be up that way until October so I can't help you first hand. I would honestly take apart the reel again at this point and put it together again from scratch making sure all the right screws went in the right holes (it can be tricky believe me) and make sure nothing in the gearing is out of place. With a properly assembled reel the tensioning nut on the left side plate should be set so there is only the slightest jiggle in the spool from side to side and that is it....It should NEVER be used as a casting brake. Without actually having the reel in hand I have to make the guess that it may be something internal in the reel that is out of wack. It could also be a bent spool or reel foot.

Bottom line question has to be put bluntly I am afraid.

Did it work BEFORE you replaced the drag washers. If it did then it is an issue with the way the reel was put back together.

Keep in touch and I will try and talk you through this.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: